Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

As I'm an old school kinda man, (not a boy anymore), I like analog cluster in retro bikes as I enjoyed Royal Enfield Classic 500 stealth black while I was in India. Now I own 2017 made CBR500R which is one good cocktail (at least for me) as it checked all my needs like street fun, cornering at times & yes cruising for long day rides. Thinking to add-on gear indicator & voltmeter (not so necessary) but those look odd like an uninvited guest in my party. So got a thought, if any possible way to replace 2017 made CBR500R digital cluster with 2019 facelifted CBR500R LED display which have all the meters volt, gear, temp showing up in one cool place. Yeah, it may be an expensive affair but just curious as I prefer nice fit & finish on my bike.

Pls share your thoughts.

Cheers to all Riders & all great ppl who cares other riders.

Ride safe. Peace.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting those "extras". I owned and rode an '83 R80RT BMW for 34 years. Nothing but the basic gauges. I just kept shifting up and down until the shifter quit moving. I don't care to go back in time to a "Retro" motorcycle. Been there done that, and have been spoiled by newer, better made bikes that offer safety and quality components not available in years past. :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd be interested to see the pin-out of the 2019 connector... it might be all well and good to fabricate a means to mount the 2019 dash, but if the added features don't work because the wires aren't there for it, not much point going to that effort.

A poor man's alternative, and what I've done too, is to inverse the polarity of the existing dash with a change of polerizing film. I already have a gear indicator fitted, so that aspect already covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't blame you for wanting those "extras". I owned and rode an '83 R80RT BMW for 34 years. Nothing but the basic gauges. I just kept shifting up and down until the shifter quit moving. I don't care to go back in time to a "Retro" motorcycle. Been there done that, and have been spoiled by newer, better made bikes that offer safety and quality components not available in years past. :)
yeah, being retro is a legendary thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be interested to see the pin-out of the 2019 connector... it might be all well and good to fabricate a means to mount the 2019 dash, but if the added features don't work because the wires aren't there for it, not much point going to that effort.

A poor man's alternative, and what I've done too, is to inverse the polarity of the existing dash with a change of polerizing film. I already have a gear indicator fitted, so that aspect already covered.

true, how come I oversee the additional parts(especially temperature sensor if it is additionally added in 2019 model) required along with cluster to make all meters get the info from. i better stick to stock one and use that money for safety accessories & fuel for more miles of smile.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In fact, the temp sensor is already installed in earlier bikes, as the ECU uses engine cylinder head temp sensor to adjust fueling to engine warmup state - but this information is not passed to the dash.
But the gear sensor is not present on earlier bikes for example.
Also communication protocol between the ecu and dash is different. So it's not feasible to change dashes between older and newer versions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for highlighting Oyabun. Will retain with stock. As always worth to discuss with subjected ppl in forums prior making any modifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts