Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

New to the site so hey!

Does anyone know if it's legal or not to remove that ugly factory reflector disc off the front of the bike?

I've had 3 people now say that it looks like I've got my indicator on in the direct sun when they're looking back at me on a group ride.

Cheers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I wouldn't guess concerning the legality. But it's pretty common for certain parts of the OEM body to be removed.. Think tail section with it's bulk and additional reflectors.. being replaced with a new "fender eliminator/tail tidy" kits. The reflectors are there for safety reasons... You said yourself 3 people have noticed and made comments.. That's not a bad thing with all the careless/distracted drivers you'll be sharing the road with. Your Call..Ride Safe and Enjoy.:smile:

·
Registered
212 Posts
They are not required in the U.K. so Honda so not fit them on bikes sold here. I think it is reasonable to assume they will only fit them in countries where they where legally required. They might be a relatively cheap item, but across thousands of bikes sold leaving them off will save more than keeping things as standard as possible across all markets.

That said, the top result of a quick Google search to check my theory reveals they are indeed a legal requirement in New South Wales.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-standards/Motorcycle-standards

That page makes it sound like you could replace them with white reflectors to remain legal whilst not dangerously misleading other road users, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.
@someone - I'll check out that link soon. Might customise one so it's still road legal but it's not so butt ugly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took mine off within the first few weeks of owning my bike, I've done over 30,000kms on it around the Hunter so I wouldn't stress.

Give me a honk if you see me riding around Newy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts