Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just bought my CBR500R a couple of days ago and it's a great bike! I do have one question though. I normally do my own maintenance, but I'm always pretty busy with work and decided to get an oil change done by a local bike shop. After they were done I drove it a couple of minutes to work and right after I shut it off noticed that it looked to be slightly over the top mark. I am not sure if that is considered too much oil or not and since I don't have a stand yet I am trying to hold it as straight as I can to get a good measurement.

Is there an easy way of removing any excess oil? I thought about loosening the drain bolt a little, but on my cars it seems that I always have to practically remove it in order for any oil to come out. I don't want to risk dropping the bolt and having too much oil escape.

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't worry unless your sure it's well over filled.

If so, take the little pump mechanism out of a hand-soap dispenser or water spritzer. Clean it. Remove oil filler cap and pump a bit out from there.

Don't be tempted to loosen drain bolt. That will get messy.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I could not manage to get any hose down into the oil, I did not remove any.

ride safely

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If the engine was hot when you checked and the level and the level was over the high mark, there may be too much oil in there.

I check the oil level in the morning when the engine is cold and all oil has drained down, and it should be closeto the high mark.

And no, you won't get a hose in there, there is not enough space.

I'd drain the oil, measure how much it is, and then refill it accordingly.

Even too much oil can damage the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the engine was hot when you checked and the level and the level was over the high mark, there may be too much oil in there.

I check the oil level in the morning when the engine is cold and all oil has drained
I've read read that an order to get an accurate reading the engine needs to be warmed up for 3-5 minutes and checked after waiting about 3 minutes. I used this method and the oil level was just slighty over.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've read read that an order to get an accurate reading the engine needs to be warmed up for 3-5 minutes and checked after waiting about 3 minutes. I used this method and the oil level was just slighty over.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you!
Frankly I don't like this way of checking. "3 to 5 minutes" is kind of wishy washy, then waiting for "about 3 minutes"... you could get very different results depending on the temperature of where you're at.
My rule of thumb is that when it's cold in the morning it shouldn't be at the low mark, and after a ride there sould not be tiny bubbles on top of the oil, then it's too much, the crank whipped it into a foam which won't properly lubricate as it should.

Reactions: icarusian

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Next oil change measure the amount of oil before you fill it in, the right amount (with filter change or without) is in the manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wouldn't worry unless your sure it's well over filled.

If so, take the little pump mechanism out of a hand-soap dispenser or water spritzer. Clean it. Remove oil filler cap and pump a bit out from there.

Don't be tempted to loosen drain bolt. That will get messy.
This definitely works. I used a 1/8" diameter hose from a soap dispenser and it reached the oil no problem. Let's say the hose was 5" long and I had to twist it around before it managed to find it's way. It works brilliantly.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I usually go with: "cold, before a ride" oil should be at the top mark.

Ride safely

·
Registered
1 Posts
This definitely works. I used a 1/8" diameter hose from a soap dispenser and it reached the oil no problem. Let's say the hose was 5" long and I had to twist it around before it managed to find it's way. It works brilliantly.
What model did you do this one? I just tried to shove a small hose down mine and it only got tangled up and almost stuck without pulling out any oil.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just loosen the bolt.
That way you wont have to open the engine because you tried to save yourself from getting oil all over, and used a hose or something and it got stuck, and now you have to go in and remove the piece you lost inside!!! Boy if only I just loosened the drain bolt and did it that way......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts