Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered a Kaoko throttle control and will need to remove the plug in the end of the bar that the stock bar end weight screws into. Anybody done this? I notice there are two holes in the end of the bar that look like they might allow a punch or drill to release the plug. I have also read that a slide hammer will do the trick, and I have one of those.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, 2 little tabs press outward into those small holes to hold the bar weight inside of the bar. remove the left grip and the throttle control on the right to expose them. A punch can be uses to bend the tabs down. Once you tap them a bit, it helps to have a second person pull on the bar end while you press down fully on the tabs to get them to fully release.

·
Registered
850 Posts
So the screw at the end of the bar end has nothing to do with the removal of the bar ends? I often wondered at that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The screw does hold the bar weight onto the end of the handlebars so IF you can loosen the screw you can remove the bar weight but the internal piece the screw goes into is held in by the clip. The clip only keeps the internal piece from coming out. It doesn't stop it from rotating so if you try to remove the screw you will probably notice it just turns and turns.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The screw does hold the bar weight onto the end of the handlebars so IF you can loosen the screw you can remove the bar weight but the internal piece the screw goes into is held in by the clip. The clip only keeps the internal piece from coming out. It doesn't stop it from rotating so if you try to remove the screw you will probably notice it just turns and turns.
Thanks forthe clarification.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've ordered a Kaoko throttle control and will need to remove the plug in the end of the bar that the stock bar end weight screws into. Anybody done this? I notice there are two holes in the end of the bar that look like they might allow a punch or drill to release the plug. I have also read that a slide hammer will do the trick, and I have one of those.
I've got the Kaoko throttle lock on my wish list at RevZilla so I'm interested in how this comes out ... with pictures of the process :pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do I remove the screw? I dont have stock bar ends but they seem to turn independently of the bar ends.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to stop the bar end weights from spinning while you turn the screw. I wrap the bar end with duct tape so it doesn't get scratched while I hold it with a slip-joint pliers. Then I use a ratchet with a phillips bit to loosen the screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have to stop the bar end weights from spinning while you turn the screw. I wrap the bar end with duct tape so it doesn't get scratched while I hold it with a slip-joint pliers. Then I use a ratchet with a phillips bit to loosen the screw.
The screw seems to just keep spinning, even when the bar end weights are held still.... theres barely any resistance when turning the screw tho, and the bar end weights spin freely without the screw spinning with it. The bar ends weights I have are after market put on by the previous owner. I have no idea how these got installed or to remove them...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
must be the inner part of the bar end is spinning, in which case you should be able to pry it out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It sounds to me like those ends were screwed into the stock inner weights. If they had used a normal bung they should not be rotating freely.

Because the inner weights so rotate freely, they and the bar ends have matching notches to connect them together. Turn the screw you just rotate everything, but hold the bar end in position then you also hold the inner weight and can unscrew from it.

If the third-party bar ends do not have that notch design, there is nothing to prevent the inner weight from spinning as you turn the screw.

If you can peel back the end of the grip you should notice a hole on the top and bottom of the bar, that is where the clip sits which holds the inner weight inside the bar. Using a pair of screwdrivers you might be able to release the clip and pull out the bar ends with inner weights attached.

I am not sure if that will work, normally you take the bar end off before removing the clip. But third party bar ends probably do not recess to meet the inner weight, so there may be enough space for the clip to compress. If not I guess you may need to drill the head off the screws so you can remove the ends that way?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts