Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Removal of airbox

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sysays 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've gotten myself a set of kspp velocity stacks for my 2013 Cbr400r. I wanted to remove the black rubber fin in the middle of the airbox, but the entire assembly (which includes the mount for the stock stacks, refer to item 14 on attached image) are held down by 3 very tight screws (25, only one is shown in the diagram).

I've managed to urge the middle one loose before completely stripping it, but I have 2 more at the top 2 corners of the airbox which I am having trouble removing due to the angle. It would be easier (and safer) if I could remove the airbox and open it up.

Does anyone know how to remove the airbox, or have any suggestions on how to remove the remaining 2 screws? I'd tried using a flexible extension for my socket wrench but I ended up stripping the screws instead.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to remove the tank and the whole airbox will come out together with the throttle bodies, you need to split the airbox then and only then you will be able to unscrew those screws, I don't remember the exact steps nor do I have the pictures on hand from when I was changing the velocity stacks from EU to the US model, but it's not that complicated if you are careful, you will even be able to reuse the "one time use" connectors on the tank if you are careful enough

#3 ·
I'd managed to remove the tank (laid it on the side with a chair and the seats, so I didn't need to disconnect anything) and tried to remove half of the airbox - but realised I had to remove the entire assembly to open it up (I saw 2 screws at the bottom). I was looking around the entire assembly around the airbox and throttle body but I just couldn't figure out how to remove the airbox. I should be able to finish the job once I figure out how to remove it (with the throttle body). ..

Thanks for the heads up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.