Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
ad belgium to
just got mail from honda that i should contact my local dealer

I was starting to think I was in the clear. My motorcycle club even had a social event at the local Honda dealership on Tuesday and I asked the powersports salesmen if my CBR500 was involved in the recall. He said that they hadn't heard of any recalls yet, and that if I'm affected both they and I will get correspondence from Honda Canada...

I arrived home today and checked my mailbox and sure enough I had an envelop with a Honda label and title stating "RECALL NOTICE ENCLOSED". Sigh. I don't have my VIN with me so I'll have to double check that it matches the one they have on record, but I doubt there was any error there.

I'm going to have to wait until Spring arrives to get the bike to the shop, and then I'll be annoyed having to surrender it probably all day or overnight... I'm almost tempted to attempt the fix myself (I could use the wrench time), but then again it's a free service and already we have a debate going on about the proper bolt torque specs... Am I better off to attempt it myself or let the dealership do it? Blah. I have worse things to worry about for now. This will have to wait.

At least I get to be part of the secret club.

tqhien, where and when did you buy your bike ?

I was starting to think I was in the clear. My motorcycle club even had a social event at the local Honda dealership on Tuesday and I asked the powersports salesmen if my CBR500 was involved in the recall. He said that they hadn't heard of any recalls yet, and that if I'm affect both they and I will get correspondence from Honda Canada...

I arrived home today and checked my mailbox and sure enough I had an envelop with a Honda label and title stating "RECALL NOTICE ENCLOSED". Sigh. I don't have my VIN with me so I'll have to double check that it matches the one they have on record, but I doubt there was any error there.

I'm going to have to wait until Spring arrives to get the bike to the shop, and then I'll be annoyed having to surrender it probably all day or overnight... I'm almost tempted to attempt the fix myself (I could use the wrench time), but then again it's a free service and already we have a debate going on about the proper bolt torque specs... Am I better off to attempt it myself or let the dealership do it? Blah. I have worse things to worry about for now. This will have to wait.

At least I get to be part of the secret club.
They shouldn't have it that long. I waited for mine and it was done in 45 minutes

Got my recall notice about 2 weeks ago, called dealer last
Wed and the service guy says bring it in anytime. I said
how about Mon morning, he says fine. Didn't even ask
who I was or where I got the bike. Took it in today and
and walked around looked at the new bikes and checked
out a few boots, and about 15 minutes passed and I looked
out front where I left my bike and it was turned around
the other way. I'm thinking somebody just moved it, can't
be done already. I go out and look at the bolts and it's
done. It probably took them 5 minutes. Looked to me that
this dealer will prioritize a recall job like this. I was
in the shop under 30 minutes total. Their charge to Honda
$51.00 for 5 minutes.

Hoozah, if the affected parts on your bike aren't leaking, then don't worry about it. Keep an eye on them and go on about your business. If they start to leak, be aware that there's a recall notice out on them and then go get it fixed for free.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Hoozah, if the affected parts on your bike aren't leaking, then don't worry about it. Keep an eye on them and go on about your business. If they start to leak, be aware that there's a recall notice out on them and then go get it fixed for free.
I dunno. Some would argue that it's best to quash a potential problem before it becomes a real issue. Some people won't notice until it's too late.

well if what's true about only 1,760 bikes being recalled in Canada and I receive a letter about my bike being one of them, I am a bit worried.

i received a notice in the mail a few days back and contacted my dealer. he talked to his mechanic guy and while the costs will be covered by honda, the mechanic seems to be of the opinion that it will take longer than the approximate 1 hour that the letter from honda is claiming. this is the word from alberta, canada...roads are still very shitty where i am so it'll probably be at least a few more weeks before i can make the trip - will post the details of the process once i have it done...good luck all!

well if what's true about only 1,760 bikes being recalled in Canada and I receive a letter about my bike being one of them, I am a bit worried.
Worried about what? The bike's been recalled, happens all the time. As already said, if it's not leaking, keep riding, and take it in for service whenever you're able.

I have i question I didn't see answered. If I'm buying my 13' new from dealer and its may 1st 2014, does that mean the dealer took care of it?

I asked the service manager at my dealer about the recall last week. He was aware of it and they had the kits. My 2013 X is still in the crate, but they will take care of the re-call before I pick it up next Thursday.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.