Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts
You go to the dealer, they check the oil level and top it up - make a careful note of the level, and probably seal off/mark the oil drain plug/filter/filler cap (so you cant tamper with it ;) ) and send you off to ride the bike. You come back in 1000km or when the oil level reaches the lower mark. They then check the level and add oil to bring it back to the level they filled it to, and measure how much oil has been used. Probably have to do it twice. You have to jump through the hoops - thats only fair.

If its use is > honda's "specification" limit, they dealer then starts the warrenty repair process to fix it. They'd do a compression test to start (inc. a leak down test), then repair. Really the only reasons can be:

rings stuffed: replace rings and hone the bore
glazed bores: replace rings and hone the bore
valve guides stuffed: replace

If your dealers service centre wont even consider an oil consumption test, ask for that in writting, and then ask to speak to the dealership owner. If no joy from them, then ask for them to put it in writting as well.

Then contact Honda head office and provide them the written statements, and copy in the dealership owner. If that sees no joy (but it will!), then make sure you are a member of your local Automobile association and tell Honda/the dealership owner that you will seek their advice to act as an "independent arbitrator". If that gets no joy, do so and copy in Honda/the dealership. The next call you'll get will be from Honda/the dealership asking how they can help you out ;)

When you get to have an oil consumption test, ask for the results and the specifications to be provided in writting.

If the results are that the bike is using oil, but they say its "within spec", and you dont like that result (eg spec is 150mL/1000km - which is crap anyway, and your bike is using 120mL/1000km which is crap anyway. I'd maybe live with 25mL /1000km - thats 300mL between 6000km oil changes!) then tell the service centre you think that excessive anyway. See what they say.

If they dont agree, then make sure you are a member of your local Automobile association and tell Honda/the dealership owner that you will seek their advice to act as an "independent arbitrator" and go from there.

Keep all emotion out of it, just state your case and document everything :)

Thats my plan.

Dave
hahass.
thailand is culturally a little more complicated that you might think dave.

hahass.
thailand is culturally a little more complicated that you might think dave.
Lol, "culturally a little more complicated" sounds like a polite way to put it ;)...sounds like the dude is screwed ;)

Reactions: loserlazer
Lol, "culturally a little more complicated" sounds like a polite way to put it ;)...sounds like the dude is screwed ;)
the problem is the local Hodna Bigwing in Chiang Mai City up north of Thailand.
The reports are all bad about Honda Bigwing Chiang Mai, from sales to service.

We had no problems in Honda Bigwing Bangkok as they are proper and one of teh best in Thailand i have seen.
and he is not screwed, i am sure Honda finds a way.

the problem is the local Hodna Bigwing in Chiang Mai City up north of Thailand.
The reports are all bad about Honda Bigwing Chiang Mai, from sales to service.

We had no problems in Honda Bigwing Bangkok as they are proper and one of teh best in Thailand i have seen.
and he is not screwed, i am sure Honda finds a way.
Cool :) I've spent a little time in a round a bout your neighborhood to now what you mean re "culturally complicated" ;) As an Aussie, I'm not used to that sort of culture - I'm used to a more straightforward situation :). To be honest I'd forgotten that the OP was from your neighborhood. But my post is useful for people living in Australia, Europe and North America at least.

Dave

Cool :) I've spent a little time in a round a bout your neighborhood to now what you mean re "culturally complicated" ;) As an Aussie, I'm not used to that sort of culture - I'm used to a more straightforward situation :). To be honest I'd forgotten that the OP was from your neighborhood. But my post is useful for people living in Australia, Europe and North America at least.

Dave
man, you cannot even imagine. things are running with words and emotions here! always around the corner, no confrontation and no losing face!
We of course raised by the book and it takes time to get used of Thailand bc of that.
Still, i love here!

I hope, new cbr650f will have no issues. I am getting again one of the first cbr650f on the planet same as i got the first red cbr500r on Earth but i feel like a guinea pig sometime!!!

I called my dealer today to enquire about any news on this in the UK. I spoke to Chiswick Honda which is one of the biggest dealers and service stations for Honda in the UK. This was the first they've heard of this issue. The guy I spoke to was really helpful, he re-checked all the bulletins from Honda while I was on the line, but saw nothing about this. He quickly googled details of the AUS recall too - he thought that anyone who had valves checked at first service should be OK as bolts would have been checked at that time. He advised to periodically check the bolt and look out for news from Honda as they would mail all customers directly should they issue a UK recall.

Reactions: DkD and EagleMoto
I have not received a letter yet but I rang my dealer and booked it in. They maybe a bit slack with their notification process:thumbsup

I was at my dealer last Saturday and asked about the recall. They had the announcement but no replacement parts yet. He took my number and said he would call when they came in. I got the call today and it's in and am going to schedule an appointment soon as my bike is part of the recall. I've not received a letter from Honda yet.

Update on Canadian Recall

I have an update on the recall in Canada. Although the recall was announced on the Transport Canada website, I got an error every time I entered my VIN on the form that loads when you click on the link "Check if this recall applies to your vehicle." I haven't yet taken delivery of the bike, but I did register my VIN on the Honda owner's website, and used the message function to send a note to the Honda general request line. I received the following reply the next morning:

Thank you for taking the time to write to Honda Canada to inquire if your
new 2013 Honda CB500XA has been affected by the recently announced recall.

Unfortunately, it is confirmed that your new 2013 Honda CB500XA bearing VIN
[snip] has been affected by the recently announced "Rocker Arm
Shaft Sealing Bolt" recall for which the counter-measured parts required
for the job have just become available.

Notifications will be mailed to all affected motorcycle owners to advise of
the recall in batches; we recommend you to contact your Honda motorcycle
dealer as soon as possible to schedule the appointment to have the campaign
be done at no cost to you, dealer can confirm the outstanding recall by VIN
and there is no need to wait for the recall notification.

Thank you again...for contacting Honda Canada, we appreciate being
given the opportunity to review and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
I then contacted the salesperson at my dealer, who hadn't yet heard about the recall, and sent him a copy of the note from Honda, which he then forwarded to the service manager. I'm not supposed to take delivery until the end of the month (and, given the weather forecasts for Ontario, likely won't be able to start riding for a couple weeks after that) so I'll give them a few days to investigate before I follow up again to find out if they've received the replacement parts and can give me an ETA on when the work will be done.

I have an update on the recall in Canada. Although the recall was announced on the Transport Canada website, I got an error every time I entered my VIN on the form that loads when you click on the link "Check if this recall applies to your vehicle." I haven't yet taken delivery of the bike, but I did register my VIN on the Honda owner's website, and used the message function to send a note to the Honda general request line. I received the following reply the next morning:

I then contacted the salesperson at my dealer, who hadn't yet heard about the recall, and sent him a copy of the note from Honda, which he then forwarded to the service manager. I'm not supposed to take delivery until the end of the month (and, given the weather forecasts for Ontario, likely won't be able to start riding for a couple weeks after that) so I'll give them a few days to investigate before I follow up again to find out if they've received the replacement parts and can give me an ETA on when the work will be done.
Thanks JimmyB! I was having that same problem entering the VIN.

Honda Canada sent the notice out to their dealers on Monday (March 10). I talked to my dealer on Tuesday, he ordered the parts and they arrived on Wednesday. Installed yesterday (took about 10 minutes!).

They were in the process of moving all their floor model 500's to service to do the recall, so I would imagine your dealership will do the same. By the time you take delivery the rocker arm bolts will have been replaced.

Interestingly it sounded like ALL their 500's were affected by the recall - including the early 2014's they had in stock.

TurnerVonLefty -- thanks for the update. That's good news, and makes me hopeful that my riding season won't be abridged as a result of this recall.

*Edit: I contacted my dealer again today, and they tell me the recall work is done. Now for some better weather, so I can schedule my pickup date!

Thanks for the easy to find thread about this, and all the info and pics. Now I know what it's about. I just got my notice Monday the 17th. I called my dealer Tuesday, and they said it was news to them, and had to order the recall kit. So, I'm waiting...
lol-and wouldn't you know my dealer just called!;)

Requested confirmation from Honda Australia about my 2014 CB500F. This is the response:

From Customer Relations, Honda Australia MPE Pty Ltd

Dear Mark,
Thank you for your recent enquiry.

We wish to advise that only certain VIN ranges were affected by this particular recall. We can confirm based on your VIN provided, your bike is not affected by this recall therefore no further action needs to be taken. Only VINS between the following range are affected.

MLHPC44U*D5000001 - MLHPC44U*D5000861

If you have any other questions, please feel free to give us a call.
Have replied asking about Honda Australia's stance on the 1000K valve check debate.

When I went to my Honda dealer, the 5th of march, to order my CBR 500R (I got the 14th), I told him about this trouble. He didn't know anything about this problem, also he checked on the Honda website for France and no announcement, no recall from Honda France, we are lucky or Honda forgot France ! :rolleyes

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.