Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Recall announcement

36K views 91 replies 52 participants last post by  Jayell 
#1 · (Edited)
So as many of you are currently aware the USA, Canada, Thailand, and Australia have had official recalls on all three variations of the 500.

What are the defects?
Due to an incorrect procedure during manufacture of the Rocker Arm Shaft Sealing Bolt, it may come loose causing oil to leak from the engine.
What are the hazards?
If the oil leak is undetected or unrepaired, loss of engine oil could cause engine failure or seizure.

Users from Australia can find all current and relevant information in the following thread:
http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/warranty-service-issues/14513-australian-recall-cbr500r-cb500f-cb500x.html

In Australia, all 500's with Vehicle Identification Numbers that fall within the following ranges have been affected:
CBR500RA - MLHPC44U0D5000001 TO MLHPC44UXD5000829
CBR500R - MLHPC44U0D5000189 TO MLHPC44U9D5000773
CB500F - MLHPC44U2D5000012 TO MLHPC45U3D5000248
CB500X - MLHPC46U4D5000001 TO MLHPC46U2D5000112

Users from the United States of America can find all current relevant information in the following thread:
http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/warranty-service-issues/14554-us-recalls-2013-cbr500r-cb500x-cb500f.html

ID number ranges for American 500's will be posted when/if the information becomes available.

We may potentially be looking at a worldwide recall and this announcement will be updated as more information comes in.

If any users have information regarding recalls in any other countries then I encourage you to either message myself with the relevant data or post in this thread.

Update
Canada's government has just released their recall and state that 1760 vehicles have been affected.
They have not posted affected VIN numbers, but have provided a link where users can find if the recall applies to their vehicle.
Relevant information for users located in Canada can be found here:
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=4785!1954&md=CB500XA&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2014044&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

Some users from Thailand have also reported receiving letters in the mail informing them that their bikes have also been recalled. No further information is available at this time

Second Update
Owners in the United Kingdom have reported that their bikes are also being recalled.
Users from the UK can check if they are affected here: http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/yourhonda/recalls/

Illustrations:

Credit to Hyperlitefreak26 for the images.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good sh*t, MTB. Thanks for posting this.

#3 ·
Thanks for your efforts, Mike, but aren't there three threads on this topic already? No sense in beating a dead horse.

I don't understand why some folks are so excited by this. Vehicular recalls happen all the time. Call your dealer or wait for notification in the mail. No big deal.

In the mean time, check to ensure your bolts are tight, then go for a ride! :thumbsup

#4 ·
A dead horse is better than a dead bike.

There probably are other threads, but that hasn't stopped others from doing the same thing on topics like: clip-ons, exhaust, oil, valve adjustments, etc.

This was the first I saw of the recall, so it's helpful to some. I'm not worried about it, though.

#35 · (Edited)
So, after my bike went in to have the recall parts replaced (and a service) I thought I would look over my bike to check things out. To my amusement, look what I discover... Oil leaking around the bolt that has just been replaced.
:angry1
Considering the service guys said there was no oil leaking at all before they started the job, looks like I now have a leak which the recall was supposed to fix! I'll be calling them in the morning to see what they have to say and update the thread when I get something useful out of them.

#31 ·
Okay, I'm in Chiang Mai, Thailand and about to leave here for a 2 week trip to Laos. I do not have any visible leaking with 13K km on the clock but the engine does consume more oil than my previous bikes. I had it in for an oil & filter change two weeks ago but when I questioned the service tech about the high oil consumption he sort of laughed it off and told me not to worry.

If no visible leaks, should I be okay to travel?

I will call Chiang Mai Big Wing tomorrow to see if they have parts, VINs etc.

Thanks

#40 ·
Mine has 10w30 in it. My loss has been around 75 ml in about 5,000 miles. Is it possible using a slightly less viscous oil will result in greater loss, especially when operating at 7k and above for duration?
Thats not much. Its like 10mL per 1000km, so maybe 60mL between 6000km oil changes - 3mm in the sight glass if that. I'd keep an eye on it is all. If it doent get worse, then prolly okay. Engines are supposed to use *some* oil - thats the thing people dont talk about: oil is a consumable.

When it gets to be 15-20% of the total oil volume between changes (eg mine is 380mL in 4200km --> 550mL between 6000km oil changes which would be waaaayyy below the lower fill line well before the oil is due for a change), then there is a serious issue IMHO.

Dave

#46 ·
I called my dealer today to enquire about any news on this in the UK. I spoke to Chiswick Honda which is one of the biggest dealers and service stations for Honda in the UK. This was the first they've heard of this issue. The guy I spoke to was really helpful, he re-checked all the bulletins from Honda while I was on the line, but saw nothing about this. He quickly googled details of the AUS recall too - he thought that anyone who had valves checked at first service should be OK as bolts would have been checked at that time. He advised to periodically check the bolt and look out for news from Honda as they would mail all customers directly should they issue a UK recall.

Reactions: DkD and EagleMoto
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.