Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the dealer to stiffen the spring a bit and they put it on the hard setting. I like the handling, but the bumps are a bit harsh. Has anyone adjusted the rear spring to a stiffer setting?

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
77 Posts
I asked the dealer to stiffen the spring a bit and they put it on the hard setting. I like the handling, but the bumps are a bit harsh. Has anyone adjusted the rear spring to a stiffer setting?
There is no such an adjust as stiffen the spring - you can add o remove preload but the stiffness is the same. It's just the way to achieve correct SAG. If you want more compliant ride you need to buy an aftermarket shock with bespoken spring stiffness and damping curve - OEM shock is quite harsh and bumpy - there is no way to modifiy it. Take a look on Nitron, Matris, YSS, Wilbers or Ohlins shocks for CB - they are lot better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
timur is giving you the right advice but none on how to set the correct sag for your weight assuming the stock spring is adjustable within your weight parameters. Plenty of videos on Youtube to show you how to properly set the front and rear Sag for optimal handling and safety.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You must be a big fellow! I weigh 135# (61 kilos) and on softest position the OEM spring wouldn't compress at all. Not a bit. I finally fitted a Wilbers shock absorber with a 7.5N spring and am in heaven. The Russell "Day Long" seat is equally fine.

Ralph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts