1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda, CBR500R, 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the forum, so hello .

I have recently bought a low mileage 2018 RAJ model.

since buying I have serviced and changed a few things, but would appreciate any feedback, particularly on the rear shock.

Installed a K&N air filter
Changed the rear exhaust silencer for a Terminigo version.
Scottoiler fitted

Had the front forks upgraded to the YYS kit.
This has made a good improvement, stock seals were leaking.

Any advice on the YSS rear shock or Nitron shock appreciated

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
77 Posts
Copy pasted here my feedback from other forum:

Well - just made 300 km route today with my favourite twisties, fast sweepers, poor tarmac and a bit of higway. And definitely I'm happy - it's incredible how Nitron improves the handling and comfort. Rear end has very firm feeling but after 3 hours I was less tired that with RRP or OEM rear shock. It fits my riding style better - I don't like offroad (despite having done a lot of offroad riding when I was younger).

The most notorious improvement is on fast sweepers - the bike mantain the line no matter how fast you goes. Steering is more neutral and there is less mass transference on braking and accelerations. It resembles a bigger bike now - I was surprised how it transforms CB500X chasis. Didn't think I would be able to go so fast in a corners with this bike
:005:
It filters all the little imperfections and the bigger ones comes smoothened and completely harmless.

There was a delicate moment when I hitted a bump in one of the corner apex in my route - usual scenary is a momentary loss of grip followed by 2-3 oscillatons of the rear end. In this case the recover was smooth and instantaneous with zero oscillations. Very confidence inspiring.

So to summarise - IMHO for adventure and offroad the RRP is better suited than Nitron. For touring and agressive canyon riding - Nitron. And the possibility to purchase a customised shock for your weight and riding style is a big plus. These are two very different and excelent options depending on what are you looking for.

Regards,

Timur

·
Registered
Honda, CBR500R, 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as an update, I have ordered the YSS rear shock for my bike.

Mainly based on my budget.

Will give an update once arrived and fitted. However, the front fork YSS kit has been much better than the standard factory fit. I have the preload just would in very slightly.

·
Registered
Honda, CBR500R, 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still waiting for the shock to be delivered, but I thought I would have a look at the linkages.

Saw some YouTube videos, nearly everyone saying there is a distinct lack of grease in the bushing and needle bearings.

Mine were very dry, now greased up, and gave me a better idea of how to remove the shock when it arrives.

·
Registered
Honda, CBR500R, 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear YSS shock arrived this afternoon, changed over reasonably easily.

Easier with another pair of hands to assist though.

Set the rebound control in the middle of the range, hopefully dry tomorrow to give it a test.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I needed a really complaint shock absorber for my '17 F model and I went with a Wilbers, from Germany, using a 7.5Newton spring for my 135# weight. A bit expensive, almost $700, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I got my money's worth. US dealer for Wilbers I dealt with was Ted Porter of Ted's BMW Shop in California, USA. Ted spent a lot of time with me to get the spring weight right and the results have been very impressive. Good product; good vendor. Ted has been involved in suspension for over 45 years. Knows his stuff.

Ralph

·
Registered
Honda, CBR500R, 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just been out for a 40 mile ride.

First impressions are that it has improved the rear suspension.

There are 30 clicks of rebound control, so I set it in the middle (15th) setting.

Will just slow down the rebound a little, I am not the fastest of riders,and no hero when it comes to finding the limit of the tyres when cornering..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts