1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Does anyone know of any aftermarket rear racks that will fit the 500R? I'm looking to strap a dry bag or two (from Kriega, Wolfman, or Twisted Throttle), and think I need a rack because the passenger seat may not be big enough.

So far, the only thing I've found is this. It looks okay, but I'm hoping for some other options.

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack For Honda CBR500R '13 & CB500F '13 - CB500F & CB500X - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com
Just went camping with a large tek dry pak duffle : [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/home/Photos/honda%20camp[/IMG]

i like the kriega stuff etc - but I couldn't see dropping 150 - 200 bucks on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like you tried to post a picture of your setup, but it didn't quite work. Would you mind trying again?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Looks no wider than the pillion, and it's rounded, so it's no better. Looks to be made for mounting top boxes, so you'd still need to find a rack to mount to it.
Our pillion is huge, so I'd just try strapping to it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looks no wider than the pillion, and it's rounded, so it's no better. Looks to be made for mounting top boxes, so you'd still need to find a rack to mount to it.
Our pillion is huge, so I'd just try strapping to it.
That alu-rack is just the base. There is another motech part that is a quick lock connection to the alu-rack for use with soft luggage. It makes it wider and provide mounting points for straps. Good option if you want to still have room for a passenger.

Sidecase carrier broadening, for all bags, rugged mouting.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
The nice thing about the sealine bag is you can put your food in it - seal it and hang it from a tree - no food odors - no bears.
Unfortunately, the bears have gotten pretty smart about this. They've figured out that a bag hanging in the air means "food" even if they can't smell it, and that there is a rope nearby that is holding it up. Smart creatures.

Some of them have even defeated some of the purpose-designed canisters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html

Personally, I just use a water-resistant duffelbag strapped on the back.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Unfortunately, the bears have gotten pretty smart about this. They've figured out that a bag hanging in the air means "food" even if they can't smell it, and that there is a rope nearby that is holding it up. Smart creatures.

Some of them have even defeated some of the purpose-designed canisters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html

Personally, I just use a water-resistant duffelbag strapped on the back.
I think if you're near a national park that's probably truer. You do what you can - I hang outside camp so if they do find it they're not near the tent.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It looks like you tried to post a picture of your setup, but it didn't quite work. Would you mind trying again?
here's some photos of the rig. I've reduced the volume by about a third -a sleeping bag and mat hadn't arrived so I had to stuff a queen sized comforter and a larger bed roll into the bag.

Despite that it was pretty compact - the rear seat area is raised so it looks larger than it is. The rok straps held it absolutely tight. I ran both from the rear passenger grab rail - using the tang to keep them from sliding.

I'm also carrying all the camping supplies because - well what are friends for.

The whole thing is stable - I felt no handling issues and we did about 400 back road miles and some pretty rutted dirt roads.

As I noted earlier, the rig cost about $90.00 and is totally functional and has rugged good looks - just like all cb500f riders. If you like black you can get it all black.

The orange string is tied to my electrical box blanking plate (kickstand foot) so I could pull it up after getting situated. Clever yet retarded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome. Thanks for sharing the pictures and details of your setup. After seeing this, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about this WAY too hard. I need to get something waterproof, strap it on, and forget about it. I'm placing an order tonight.

How did the bike handle on all those dirt roads?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for sharing the pictures and details of your setup. After seeing this, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about this WAY too hard. I need to get something waterproof, strap it on, and forget about it. I'm placing an order tonight.

How did the bike handle on all those dirt roads?
I hear you. Believe me I checked all the bags you mentioned about 5 times, but when it came to buying I thought - I'm not going to Tierra del Fuego I'm going to Vermont - get a bag and be done with it. Google isn't doing us any favors.

BTW - the sealine stuff is made in Oregon I think.

As far as dirt roads - it handled dirt OK but we ran into pebbly gravel on hard dirt which was like ice skating, and then deep ruts with medium/large stones and deep washes going across. I'm no offroad rider so I kept it real slow but kept the revs up and feathered the clutch so I could lift the front wheel. The main thing was - if I picked a line I didn't second guess myself midway.

I think if you're patient any bike can go most anywhere - if it had been wet it might have been a different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know of any aftermarket rear racks that will fit the 500R? I'm looking to strap a dry bag or two (from Kriega, Wolfman, or Twisted Throttle), and think I need a rack because the passenger seat may not be big enough.

So far, the only thing I've found is this. It looks okay, but I'm hoping for some other options.

SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack For Honda CBR500R '13 & CB500F '13 - CB500F & CB500X - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com
Yeah ,ebay they have an ok rack l bought ,its great ,Geza melbourne
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts