Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know there are a few different posts on the topic, after some initial research I can tell what I dont want to do, but any advise on other companies offering a rear hugger / mudguard would be great.

• I was really hoping to find something to fit the actual Bike as opposed to using CB300 parts due to the mods and tire differences.
  • While I liked the look of the Puig (with exception of the Puig branding itself )for my 2016 500F i was certainly not impressed at all by the quality of construction, seems very thin, and being that replaces the chainguard not sure i liked the idea of replacing the stock (heavy duty) guard with a super thin material that doesnt seem very strong.
  • Im not going to use something from ebay that uses zip ties to hold it in place either.
Are there any other options from other manufacturers? Any help would be great - thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the gen Honda one,I think its top class,about as good as it gets for a hugger,fits with no problems.

Plasma1.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Plasma -- i have not seen the gen honda hugger in person - only this photo - sadly cant send link as im new to the forum - but based on the pics i see of the part you describe I was curious about the coverage as most of the other huggers have a bit more coverage for the sides.... do you see any buildup from the uncovered sides on your bike?

Sadly i think the one you mentioned is only avail in flat black too.... as opposed to the carbon look of factory chainguard... i see why it is tempting to use a 300F part which is also avail in carbon look

As for aftermarket the only 2 options look like the Puig Rear Mudguard P279222 (carbon) and the Powerbronze 301-H110-603 Rear Hugger

I dont know - still on the fence - perhaps others can comment -- just want something sturdy that flows with the look of the 2016 CB500F and has adequate coverage. I was even looking at the Givi Mg1121 for the 500X but wasnt sure if it would even fit the '16 500F.

For me Its really hard to tell if the gen honda would look right and have good coverage - some of the others seems to have better coverage - but not sure if they would flow with the bike in terms of aesthetics and look like stock part. Can anyone chime in and post a few pics of final look... perhaps that might help.

- will try to send pics / links of above referenced items but since new to forum - cant post links :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the part number..... the Honda Genuine Accessories P/N: 08F70-MGZ-J00. will be my fall back part

However I was hoping to find something with slightly different look as most huggers ive seen from factory dont offer much coverage on the sides or further back on the tire....

I was looking for something more like this - (for honda CBR400 but notice the additional tire coverage)

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/webike-rb/item/22753059/

COERCE CBR400R?ABS? RS??????? 18,000?? | WEB Mr.BIKE

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Having used the OEM one through two coastal Northern California winters I will attest that it does what it is supposed to do just fine. The wet fling stays off the shock, swing arm & the other electrical & fluid stuff north of the wheel. Works great. Yes I preferred full fenders from the 80’s but no such luck nowadays.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some have used that powerbronze hugger to great effect (check out droman1972's 500R) - though I agree that on the F it would be harder to make work.

I wish I knew about that Givi one - looks real good, though I went with the 300's OE hugger and made a bracket to ensure a clean fit. There is no issue with width and I rather like the look. Others have used the same hugger and report no issues despite tire size differences.

Getting back to the Givi hugger, I don't see any difference in part numbers for the swing arm between the X and the F (MY15) so there doesn't seem to be any reason why it wouldn't fit. Anybody else give it a try? Incidentally a quick check revealed that the MY16 500F uses the exact swingarm, at least according to part #s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try going with the GIVI - I just really don't like the look of any of the other alternatives, will report back with pics when (and if i can get it ) installed on 2016 CB500F..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts