Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Why is there no point?

A lot of people (including myself) still don't want to do that.
Either you eliminate the tail or you don't, why remove 5 cm which barely makes a difference?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh is that all? Clearly pointless indeed.
I wouldn't say it was pointless. The no cut version certainly looks better than what comes as standard.

Just depends on what you want and how big your plates are

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why is there no point?

A lot of people (including myself) still don't want to do that.
Its not a a crucial part of the frame. cut version looks a million times better. takes 30 seconds with the hack saw and it finishes it off nicely.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Fastening bolt info please?

Can anyone who's done this mod please give me info on the Chicago/Sex bolt they used to fasten the cut under tail plastics together? Spec or even better a manufacturer and part number?
Thanks in advance,
b

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Can anyone who's done this mod please give me info on the Chicago/Sex bolt they used to fasten the cut under tail plastics together? Spec or even better a manufacturer and part number?
Thanks in advance,
b
This topic is about a DIY job, there are no part numbers.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I didn't bolt mine together, I sikaflexed my 2 bits together, yhen bolted my number plate bracket through the bottom piece to the sub frame bracket (the one you cut)
I uploaded my picks onto this forum of you want to look for them.

Hope it helps mate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Nice, thanks. I bought a tube and just before I was going to open it, I thought to ask a friend, who works on boats for a living, how the stuff held up in humid conditions. I'm assuming the stuff is holding up well for you in your climate? I'll look back in the thread for your pics, thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice, thanks. I bought a tube and just before I was going to open it, I thought to ask a friend, who works on boats for a living, how the stuff held up in humid conditions. I'm assuming the stuff is holding up well for you in your climate? I'll look back in the thread for your pics, thanks again.
I found sikaflex didn't hold with vibration on smooth surfaces so I pulled mine apart and roughed it up with sand paper and added apoxy resin around all joining surfaces.
It holds real well now.
Take your time with it.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I found sikaflex didn't hold with vibration on smooth surfaces so I pulled mine apart and roughed it up with sand paper and added apoxy resin around all joining surfaces.
It holds real well now.
Take your time with it.

It's nearly impossible to get anything to bond well to HDPE which is what that tail section seems to be. If you rough it up, you might get some bonding, but what's really happening is that the adhesive is sticking in the little cracks and fissures you make when you rough it up. It's not actually sticking to the material. Probably won't last too long in any stressed or vibrating environment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's nearly impossible to get anything to bond well to HDPE which is what that tail section seems to be. If you rough it up, you might get some bonding, but what's really happening is that the adhesive is sticking in the little cracks and fissures you make when you rough it up. It's not actually sticking to the material. Probably won't last too long in any stressed or vibrating environment.
When it was coming apart, it was a the bottom separating from the sikaflex, the top part was bonded really well, I had a hard time stripping it off again.
I have done 2000ks since, with no signs of separation or distortion.
its doing alright.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why not get a LED tail light with integrated turn signals and they do sell a fender eliminator kit now, both sold on Amazon but why would you need the fender eliminator kit? Can't you just take off the exsisting fender and find some clever way to close up the end? I want my tag either under the bike or down on the swing arm. I don't want anything under the tail light, is that possible?

121 - 140 of 165 Posts