Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Reached My 600mi milestone

10K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Lucius 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have reached my 600 mi on my CBR 500R ABS... I have given it at the dealer for fluid change. :D

#4 ·
@kkandra

What are they doing at the 600 mi? I have heard different things about this service (on the CBR250R forum - different bike) - everything from some fluids, to a general 'tightening up' of the bike from the initial break in period to valve adjustment. Also, the price seems to swing from a $100 or so to $500-600. If I need put $500 into the bike about a month after I buy it I guess I'll just consider it part of the purchase price when comparing it to another bike.

Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
@all
The break in for the Honda CBR 500R is 300 mi according to manual. But I did it for 600 mi. I think its only the oil change and new filter. Dealer gave me a quote of $125 + supplies. He don't know exactly the price for the service. I will post the maintenance list on the manual later today

#12 ·
I just got my bike serviced by a friend who works for Honda but I went to his house so I got a great deal and he only charged me $200. It took him about 5 hours- to change the oil, filter, and valve adjustment. The oil and filter are fairly easy and straightforward, however the valve adjusment is the tricky part since this bike is so new and the mechanics have to learn as they go. Of course all motorcycles might be built in a similar fashion but there is a certain amount of learning that is necessary when you work on a brand new model; so some dealerships may be over-under compensating for that fact.

Also I had to buy 7 new valve shims which were $6.99 a piece.

My Honda Dealer quoted me $250 for just the Labor.

Hope this helps!

#15 ·
That may very well be the case! But be aware, often times they tack on extra charges and your bill ends up doubling. I think if that dealer has serviced other 500r's then they would also be quoting more accurately so its a question worth asking.

I didn't go through my dealer because they have yet to work on a 500r. but perhaps your dealer is a bit different. :)

#18 ·
hey, quick question. i currently bought a ninja 250r. its my first bike, and i'm planing to upgrade soon. i've been looking into the cbr500r QUITE a bit. my main concern is the cruise rpm on the cbr. thats practically my only reason to upgrade. i dont want a 600cc super sport or anything like that. but i dont wanna be reving at 10,000 rpm on the freeway.

what rpm does the cbr500r maintain at about 80mph in 6th gear?
and also, is this cbr500r a good keeper? as opposed to my ninja 250r thats mostly just a training bike

#20 · (Edited)
You're answer is about 6000 rpm. Whether its a keeper or not is what is your riding style? For me it will be a keeper. For others it's a stepping stone to their ultimate dream bike, end of the day they want more ponies.

#23 ·
@Dirty Mike, I asked the same question a few posts up. Quite interested in the response. I've owned 4 bikes, little compared to others but, none of them have required new shims, let alone 7 on a first service.

#30 ·
Service

Hi All,

My dealer charged me $125+supplies in the initial quote and yesterday he called me and told it was 180 all together. Regarding the speed you can get 80 mph between 6000 and 7000 rpm. After getting my bike I will try to find maximum speed. If you don't want to buy 600 one's then CBR 500 is the best option you got. My driving is mostly on highways( which includes the work commute) and I never felt anything wrong with this on the highway.:cool:

#34 ·
Hey what dealer did you take it to? Sounds like they will do the valve adjustment properly since they want you to leave it overnight.

I took mine to FBC (I'm in the SD area) and they totally neglected the valve check. I did it myself and found two tight exhaust valves.

In hindsight it was a mistake to finance my first maintenance. What a ripoff.

#32 ·
If its a 2014 model, then there is no need to do the valve clearance inspection until a much much later service...your dealer should know this...

#36 ·
One more chime in for Brian.. I'm still in the break-in period, so I'm not testing top speed, but I have gone comfortably down the highway at 80mph and I was just a little over 6k rpm. The redline shows around 8700 on the tach. I have read that it'll top 100mph, maybe even 110 or so. I would love a 7th gear so the rpms are a bit lower at 70-80mph, but I still think there's room to get movin' if you need to. I think it's a perfect bike for around town, carving up a mountain, etc. It's a very capable commuter. Unless you are the type to regularly go over 100mph, you should have no complaints with the cbr500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.