Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just at the motorcycle show but forgot to check what was behind the triangular metal shroud on right side of the bike under the engine. Here is a picture of our red Canadian version cb500f:

Does anyone know what is under this? I am hoping that I might be able to remove it and clean up the lines and better show off the engine, but I suspect that it might be hiding an unsightly catalytic converter instead.

If I got the cb500x I would consider removing the metal shroud and plastic lower cowl, just to show off that pretty twin. ( would also like to peel off the "X" decal, it looks a little cheesy to me and I think it would look better with just the simple Honda Wing).

If anyone has any pictures of these bikes without the decorative covers, I would love to see them, it would help me make up my mind which 500 to get.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure if it will be the same with the cb500 but I found that removing the lower cowls on my Versys instantly made it look 43% more awesome!

Before:

After:

Everyone has different taste but in my opinion, if the engine and exhaust pipes look good, it is always better to see them than to cover them.

Cheers,

Chad

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
ABS is mandatory in Canada, I think. Otherwise, the bikes are the same. I presume that they can't get the white 500f because (in the USA) it is not sold with ABS. Needless to say, that (white w/ ABS) is the bike that appeals to me the most.

Cowlings also protect the radiator; a _very_ useful function. <-- especially for enduros

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ABS comes standard on the CB500F which only comes in red. The CB500X comes standard with ABS and is available in either black or red.

The CB500R can be bought either with ABS or without.

The lower cowls on the CB500F or CB500X will do nothing to protect the radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
ABS comes standard on the CB500F which only comes in red. The CB500X comes standard with ABS and is available in either black or red.

The CB500R can be bought either with ABS or without.

The lower cowls on the CB500F or CB500X will do nothing to protect the radiator.
I stand corrected on the ABS.

The cowling has to be scraped through before the ground/pavement or such can start on the radiator. I shattered one cowling on the NX250 on a log laying beside a deep single track, but the bike didn't have the radiator taken out as well. The impact nudged us just enough to save the radiator.

Before playing with the Sheetiron 300

And after the tree by the trail incident

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a brute of a bike you have there jsonder, looks good. Once I saw your picture, I realized that we were talking about two different things.

I wasn't talking about radiator cowlings - my photos and description were of the lower cowling on the CB500X and the metal shroud on the exhaust underneath both bikes. If you look again at the before and after photos of my Versys, you will see that I didn't touch the radiator cowling, just removed the lower cowling.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeh the cat is under that "triangular metal shroud". And yeh it's kinda ugly but to be honest it might not look that bad after some polish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts