Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just spent the evening at the local drag strip. Aside from 2 stalls, was a relatively successful night. I mopped the floors with a Ninja 300 to finish the night with, though unfortunately the GoPro was out of battery life at that moment so don't have video proof. Was actually a very decent race, 15.0 vs 15.3 though i reckon i had a good 50kgs over the kiddo on the Ninja.

Anyways... i've attached a screenshot my slips, it's far to late to figure out how to put a table into the thingo here... Am also uploading a couple of vids to YouTube now, so i'll probably let them run tonight and link them in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thanks for this! Did you get really good launches? Those numbers seem a bit "slow", I was figuring 14's in the quarter with low 90's mph. Not questioning your ability...I'd polly choke ;-)

Did you get 0-60 mph splits? I'm expecting ~5.5 sec. Looking at your 1/8 mile at ~9.5 sec exiting at 120kph, I don't hold out much hope :-(

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this! Did you get really good launches? Those numbers seem a bit "slow", I was figuring 14's in the quarter with low 90's mph. Not questioning your ability...I'd polly choke ;-)

Did you get 0-60 mph splits? I'm expecting ~5.5 sec. Looking at your 1/8 mile at ~9.5 sec exiting at 120kph, I don't hold out much hope :-(

Dave

Hey Dave, nah launches were terrible. Was my first time on a bike down the dragstrip, very different to what i'm used to. I'd say 14's is definitely very possible. Also someone not 115kgs/250lbs would probably be a decent chunk faster ;)

No official 0-60 split, though from the clips it's looking about 6.5seconds.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hey Dave, nah launches were terrible. Was my first time on a bike down the dragstrip, very different to what i'm used to. I'd say 14's is definitely very possible. Also someone not 115kgs/250lbs would probably be a decent chunk faster ;)

No official 0-60 split, though from the clips it's looking about 6.5seconds.
Cheers! I thought as much :) Your 60' split at 2.5 seconds was the give away ;-)

That extra 50kgs on me is probably worth nearly a second right there as well.

Still kudos to you for posting this...I'd be too chicken to post my results ;-)

Dave

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Boy you must have gotten unlucky on that first run. Reaction time was killer. I think if you can put all the pieces together, YOU can run a 14 :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Boy you must have gotten unlucky on that first run. Reaction time was killer. I think if you can put all the pieces together, YOU can run a 14 :)
Yeah, combine the RT of #1 with the follow up of the next 60' of #2, then the rest of the 1/8th mile of #4 with the finish of #6, and you'd be cooking! Low-mid 14's easy :)

And then loose 50kg and easy-peasy 14 sec <jk> :)

Dave

Reactions: DeaDStarS

·
Registered
111 Posts
good work, i've been meaning to give mine a run but just been too busy with work :(

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Thanks Unclefugger! Had a couple good runs in there. Any videos of your Honda CBR500 do these runs?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha yeah, actually got a -0.010 at one point, but then stalled it, so didn't include that one ;) Break out AND a stall was pretty embarrassing haha.
After the first run, i was just trying to get a better launch, so i was pretty much ignoring the reaction time and focusing on clutch control. Not sure if it's different for you, but most drag racing here, reaction time doesn't add to the run. So in theory, you can have a 20second reaction time, and a 15second quarter mile.

Thanks Unclefugger! Had a couple good runs in there. Any videos of your Honda CBR500 do these runs?
There's a couple of youtube links in post 4. A mate sent me some links to vids from the grand stand, but i haven't checked them out yet. Will upload if they're any good ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got another couple of videos of the drags night from friends in the grand stand.

Me beating a Ninja 300 (just ;) )

and me getting destroyed by a drag prepped GSXR. This is the same race as the first of my Youtube vids in post 4.

I swear it feels soooo much faster behind the handlebars haha...

Also, just a warning, you may stumble across a few vids of me stalling it.... yeah i suck, so go easy on me haha, it was my first time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hahaha yeah, actually got a -0.010 at one point, but then stalled it, so didn't include that one ;) Break out AND a stall was pretty embarrassing haha.
After the first run, i was just trying to get a better launch, so i was pretty much ignoring the reaction time and focusing on clutch control. Not sure if it's different for you, but most drag racing here, reaction time doesn't add to the run. So in theory, you can have a 20second reaction time, and a 15second quarter mile.

There's a couple of youtube links in post 4. A mate sent me some links to vids from the grand stand, but i haven't checked them out yet. Will upload if they're any good ;)
Yeah I dont think anywhere your reaction time is factored into your drag race time, but usually a faster reaction time leads to a strong psychological response that kicks your fast twitch and adrenaline into overdrive the rest of the run. I ran college track and it was the same sort of thing, a good start would mentally set you up for a good race. (except in track, your reaction time does go into your overall time too, lol)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I would love for the opportunity to even hit a drag strip. :) I think the nearest one is at least a few hour drive away... I should make an effort to go though. I think I'm still too green on a bike to get a good launch though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts