Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,

I’ve read a bunch of threads and unfortunately I cannot find someone my weight in them.

I ride a 2018 CBR500R I am 160lbs with no gear or backpack. I’m guessing you can add 10-15lbs with all my gear and a light backpack.

Bike is currently at the stock settings front and rear.

Would there be anyone with a similar weight willing to share their current preload settings front and rear?

Else I’ll try and find some help to set the sag properly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't think you will find a "table" value for the settings anywhere here on the forum and people usually don't even know they are supposed to set some preload, I would really recommend to set the initial rider sag yourself, it's not hard but you will need some assistance here are some good video tutorials you can use:

I assume you won't have a front wheel stand like they do, so you can balance yourself against a wall with one hand, for road riding set the front at around 35 - 40 mm and rear at about 35+-, also keep in mind that these are initial settings, you can add or remove preload depending on your riding style or bike load
the front should have about 110 mm and the rear about 120 mm of total travel, the more important value is front. I recommend to mark it somehow on the forks (permanent pen or something, nothing that would cause damage to the fork) when you have it fully extended (you can measure from the top of the dust seal), put a zip tie on the fork for a few rides and check if you are not close to the mark (don't forget to push the zip tie down after / before the ride, also the zip tie should be just tight enough not to fall down on it's own, don't tighten it too much), if you are closer than 5 mm to the mark ADD preload as you don't want to bottom out the fork in a n emergency situation ideally you should be somewhere between 5 - 10 mm

hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good day everyone,

I’ve read a bunch of threads and unfortunately I cannot find someone my weight in them.

I ride a 2018 CBR500R I am 160lbs with no gear or backpack. I’m guessing you can add 10-15lbs with all my gear and a light backpack.

Bike is currently at the stock settings front and rear.

Would there be anyone with a similar weight willing to share their current preload settings front and rear?

Else I’ll try and find some help to set the sag properly.
Set the suspension yourself as I would not trust something so important to a random reply. Yamato is who you should listen to as he is giving you a chance to learn how to do this the right way on your own. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts