Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a black windscreen from Powerbronze. It was $80 US and, as with all windscreens, was a bit of a PITA to install. Nothing about the windscreen, just the Honda design.

I am quite happy with it as it gives the bike a more sporty look and redirects the air over my helmet.

The Powerbronze website is "international" although I am not sure where they ship. In the US you can get them from SuperBikeStore.com even though, at the time I am writing this, the website doesn't list them. I had to email the guy, who was very friendly and helpful, directly and ask.

Motorcycle Bodywork, Huggers, Belly Pans, Screens, Mudguards, Seat Cowls, Fairings, Seats, Carbon Fibre etc. Powerbronze - Home

superbikestore.com

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great Post, im hoping father christmas brings me one of these this year :), if not i shall buy one myself lol. It looks great on your bike mate. I thought i read they are made in U.K. (i may be wrong :S)
Happy Riding

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great Post, im hoping father christmas brings me one of these this year :), if not i shall buy one myself lol. It looks great on your bike mate. I thought i read they are made in U.K. (i may be wrong :S)
Happy Riding

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, they are a UK company and the guy who is the distributer in the US sounds British as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a noticeable improvement on highway riding with regards to wind blocking?
Yeah, but I didn't push highway speeds because it was raining here Friday. I could tell there was less pressure on my helmet and I had more free movement. With stock I noticed the pressure starting between 35-40mph but nothing so far up to about 60mph.

After I ride a few more days (in the dry) next week I'll post some more.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Looks good. I might have to go with these guys or Puig as it seems zero-gravity are taking their sweet time working on a windscreen for these bikes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long did it take for the install?
Eh, all of Thursday evening from about 6:30 till maybe 11PM. The windscreen is mounted sort of funny with the bolts holding it on hidden behind a metal support bar. I kept fooling with this arrangement trying to access it without totally removing every last piece of fairing. Had I just completely striped the bike down to begin with it would have been more straight forward.

Like all great mechanics I seem to have a few extra bolts now too. :confused2

At least when I put in HIDs now I'll know the procedure...

Reactions: Joram144

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
^Thanks. Please do. I do a lot of highway traveling and the wind can get annoying.
So, I delayed writing this response because Monday/Tuesday we had poor weather and I didn't get to ride.

Anyway, the windscreen does impact sound to a certain extent however I can still hear the wind rushing past. Before it was a sustained roar at anything above 35mph but now I can actually hear the wind changing directions (if there is a cross wind for example). So, less noise but certainly not eliminated.

I think my helmet is pretty noisy though (been taken apart to paint a few times) so this likely contributes.

The biggest difference is the pressure. Previously there was a strong push against my shoulders and helmet but now that is gone at normal speeds. For example, when I would glance to my blind spot I could feel my helmet being pulled around. A few times my visor even came open. Now I have much more unimpaired head movement.

Hope this helps. This is just my opinion though so maybe someone else would have another opinion.

For reference I am almost 6 feet tall.

I saw someone posted on the Puig windscreen here but they haven't put up much comment. Personally I like the look of the powerbronze and I wanted black which it doesn't appear Puig are offering. Just personal preference though.

Reactions: BourbonNcigars

·
Registered
958 Posts
^ Thank you very much, SG. Unfortunately I don't have the 500r any longer, but your input will surely help others who are exploring windscreen option.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like the shape of the Power Bronze better that the Puig !

·
Registered
484 Posts
Am hoping someone else has bought one of these, or the OP can provide an answer! I have bought the same screen for my CBR in the blue colour. However I have noticed that there are only 2 fixing holes at the bottom of the screen, whereas looking at pictures of the standard screen, and other aftermarket screens such as Puig, show that there are 4 fixing points, 2 at the bottom and 2 about halfway up the sides of the screen.
Is the 2 fixing holes at the bottom the same for others who have bought this screen? I dont fancy taking the bike apart only to found out I have been sent the wrong screen!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am hoping someone else has bought one of these, or the OP can provide an answer! I have bought the same screen for my CBR in the blue colour. However I have noticed that there are only 2 fixing holes at the bottom of the screen, whereas looking at pictures of the standard screen, and other aftermarket screens such as Puig, show that there are 4 fixing points, 2 at the bottom and 2 about halfway up the sides of the screen.
Is the 2 fixing holes at the bottom the same for others who have bought this screen? I dont fancy taking the bike apart only to found out I have been sent the wrong screen!
Unfortunately I don't remember what it looked like before I put it on but you might be in luck. If you can wait for this weekend I will pull it apart and check. I got some pieces powder coated and, weather permitting, I'll be picking them up tomorrow and installing Saturday.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Unfortunately I don't remember what it looked like before I put it on but you might be in luck. If you can wait for this weekend I will pull it apart and check. I got some pieces powder coated and, weather permitting, I'll be picking them up tomorrow and installing Saturday.
Thanks socal, that would be very helpful. Was planning to have a go at the install this weekend as well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well I finally got a reply from Powerbronze, it appears that the screens do indeed have just the 2 holes. They also emphasized that these are sufficient and they have had no issues on their project bike.
Will post some pics of the install and final result, assuming all goes to plan!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I finally got a reply from Powerbronze, it appears that the screens do indeed have just the 2 holes. They also emphasized that these are sufficient and they have had no issues on their project bike.
Will post some pics of the install and final result, assuming all goes to plan!
Just to confirm what you already learned here are the photos from mine. As you can see it only has the two holes and as PB said it fits and works fine.

Also, it is still technically the weekend here cause we have a Bank holiday today! I really wanted to procrastinate a bit more (next weekend is supposed to be warmer) but I felt bad cuz I said I would post the photos for you and I didn't do it Sunday as I planned. :)

Anyway, hope this eases your concerns.

Reactions: Red Baron

·
Registered
484 Posts
Powerbronze fitted

Thanks for that socal. Not to worry about delayed posting as I went ahead with the fitment anyway.
As you can see from the attached photo's I went with the fairings off method favoured by Honda. It actually wasnt as bad as I thought, with the main fairing just requiring a little wiggling to persuade it off the bike. The only real tricky bit was getting tools into the frame to undo the 2 bolts holding the dash and headlight subframe onto the main chassis. Such a tight space and was tricky getting enough leverage on the only small tools I had that would fit in there.
My next concern was fitting the screen itself as initially it didnt seem to fit very well in the space vacated by the old screen. In fact at one point I even contemplated putting the old screen back in. But I perservered and hoped once fixed in position with all the fasteners around the console, it would work out. Fortunately it did, but only just.
I like the result and the blue goes well with the tri-colour scheme. So far I have only been up to 50mph, and its only at that speed that I have noticed a massive difference between the stock screen.
I think the only thing left to do now is upgrade the scooter bike levers Honda saw fit to attach to this machine!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts