Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the people who have their bikes already:

Tell me about the power of these bikes. What I want to know is, can this little engine pull the front wheel off the ground in 2nd and 3rd gears?
If you nail it hard, will it pull the front wheel up?
I'm guessing the answer is no. But one can hope, right?

I know it's not a superbike, but I am hoping it will at least be cocky.
I wish I could ride one. Pictures and videos only tell me so much.
:(

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
You can even make a wheelie with a 100 cc scooter. It is not about power, all about technique but of course if you have a powerful inline four engine, it comes as default.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got mine in yesterday and I was not beating on it at all I think the highest rpm it saw was 7k rpm and my brother said when I shifted to second the front wheel came off the ground about an inch or 2.

I didn't feel it at all, and I was not trying, I was just shifting quick and firm.

First gear feels like if you get going and get the rpms up about half way then snap the throttle it will just pull right up but I have not tried it .

Im sure you can do 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies but you might need to slip the clutch a hair to make it happen.

Personally that's not why I bought the bike so im not really going to be putting it to the test, that's what I have dirt bikes for, they take all the abuse :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am a big dude so wheelies are usually out but I did get it to pop up in second when I was getting g used to the bike so its very possible with rider technique. Wheelies are all about torque and the 500's have plenty

·
Registered
111 Posts
clutch defitnetly required for wheelies,
the front wheel sometimes does leave the ground brefiely when u nail it in first and same as when u shift fast to second.
i've been i've been trying a few launches lately and some how one out of like ten attempts sent the front wheel sky high lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
12 O'clocks = starve engine of oil

Keep the oil pickup covered :D

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not looking to do wheelies with my 500R, I just wanted to know if the engine was capable of pulling the front wheel up.
Not talking about "clutch-popping" wheelies, either. I was talking about pure grunt from the engine only.

I know on a liter superbike, you can roll the throttle on, and it will lift the front wheel and carry it with authority.
I'm not talking about a huge stand-up wheelie. I am talking about front tire is a foot off the ground.

Thanks again for the replies. Food for thought.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not looking to do wheelies with my 500R, I just wanted to know if the engine was capable of pulling the front wheel up.
Not talking about "clutch-popping" wheelies, either. I was talking about pure grunt from the engine only.

I know on a liter superbike, you can roll the throttle on, and it will lift the front wheel and carry it with authority.
I'm not talking about a huge stand-up wheelie. I am talking about front tire is a foot off the ground.

Thanks again for the replies. Food for thought.

You're gonna have to help it up.
body weight back, pull up on bars

make sure to gently let it down otherwise it's hard on the forks & steering bearings

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For those curious about power in general and not wheelies, in 6th gear, going 65 mph, I'm at about 5200 rpm, and the engine will pull away quite handily. Passing on the highway should be no trouble at all. Gets up to 80 plus fairly quickly (but not so quickly that it throws you off the back and onto your butt, sadly watching it barrel down the road, solo, toward the guard rail). :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts