Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here recently i have ran into a couple of videos on youtube regarding lanesplitting and it got me wondering being a parallel-twin 500cc engine will the cbr500r have the power and agility to maneuver safely and effectivly??? I have never had a street bike. I am 20yrs old,and 150lbs. I have plenty of experience riding atvs and mx bikes. And i am a true die-hard honda enthusiast and I dont want to start on a 250cc ,cause I fear I will get tired of it easily.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
If this is your first motorcycle (mx bikes is a tad vague) I'd seriously recommend that you get a used but fairly new 250 cc bike to start with. Do your learning on it and you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it. One normally has a few "oopsies" learning to ride.

I'd normally recommend a motorcycle basic rider's course too, to reduce the probability of a road accident in the first 6 months and to provide a good "minimal skills" base.

Just the opinion of an old guy, still riding in his 70's. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If this is your first motorcycle (mx bikes is a tad vague) I'd seriously recommend that you get a used but fairly new 250 cc bike to start with. Do your learning on it and you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it. One normally has a few "oopsies" learning to ride.

I'd normally recommend a motorcycle basic rider's course too, to reduce the probability of a road accident in the first 6 months and to provide a good "minimal skills" base.

Just the opinion of an old guy, still riding in his 70's. ;)
yes i am for sure taking the course,but i just dont want a bike that i will get tired of easily I am in love with acceleration...not speed and by atvs and mx bikes i mean yz250,trx450r,and ttr230(street and trail). I no longer own any so i need a bike again and it seems like now more and more of west virginia's wood are turning into roads so........plus the laws are getting alot more strict.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes i am for sure taking the course,but i just dont want a bike that i will get tired of easily I am in love with acceleration...not speed and by atvs and mx bikes i mean yz250,trx450r,and ttr230(street and trail). I no longer own any so i need a bike again and it seems like now more and more of west virginia's wood are turning into roads so........plus the laws are getting alot more strict.
I'm in the same boat as you, I had a ride on my friends ninja 250 and while a great learner bike someone with a bit of riding experience will want more quite quickly IMO. Whether u actually need more is another issue but I wouldn't spend the money on a 250, any bike is only as fast as u twist the throttle so the 500 will do me fine till I gain a bit more experience and move onto he bigger bikes.
If I drop the te 500 learning, I'm sure it will cost the same to fix on the 250 or 500, not too worried bout that lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the same boat as you, I had a ride on my friends ninja 250 and while a great learner bike someone with a bit of riding experience will want more quite quickly IMO. Whether u actually need more is another issue but I wouldn't spend the money on a 250, any bike is only as fast as u twist the throttle so the 500 will do me fine till I gain a bit more experience and move onto he bigger bikes.
If I drop the te 500 learning, I'm sure it will cost the same to fix on the 250 or 500, not too worried bout that lol.
exactly and ill have full coverage if any major damage is done which just dropping it would only hurt plastic or rubber and money is also an issue with me too...i cant go give someone 3k for a bike off hand ,but i can give 200 a month or so from a dealer

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If you do start with a 250, and buy a used one.. When you sell it you won't really loose any money.

You could get the CBR500R but if you do damage it you will hate yourself.

If you love acceleration you will probably end up upgrading from a CBR500R in the future anyways.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I think the CBR500R is a good median between the 250 and 600 supersport. My friend just got a CBR600RR and the acceleration is crazy fast. the cbr500r is not as fast but it will still keep you interested for a while longer than the 250.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the CBR500R is a good median between the 250 and 600 supersport. My friend just got a CBR600RR and the acceleration is crazy fast. the cbr500r is not as fast but it will still keep you interested for a while longer than the 250.
thats exactly what im looking for plus if i get a bike in the future it would be a cbr600rr for sure and i would still keep the 500 for the daily rider as i know they are far more comfortable for long rides and such.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thats exactly what im looking for plus if i get a bike in the future it would be a cbr600rr for sure and i would still keep the 500 for the daily rider as i know they are far more comfortable for long rides and such.
Lol, we think exactly the same!!!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Power isn't as fast as you twist the throttle. Cc's are relative. One can ride a HD 1584cc 96 cubic inch HD than a 600rr SS and experience a whole different ride of acceleration and power. The 600rr wld leave the HD far behind, especially on the corners. One must also factor in brake sensitivity, throttle sensitivity and clutch play along with the bikes "forgiveability". The 250 light weight and gearing allows a learner to master their skills (which btw takes a life time). The fact some are in love with acceleration and power and feel they will tire easily on a 250 shd all the more so consider it. I must say this 500 can fall into a similar category of the 250. Too many riders have been smoked with the thinking that they can control their bike with throttle alone. Typical noob mentality.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Most of the mechanics are there from dirt riding on his ttr230; of course, handling curves while up on the pegs will be interesting as he lowers the bike under himself.

I catch myself riding the street bike like a dirt bike every so often. :(

He should be fine with the 471 cc engine once he adjusts to the horrendous weight of a real street bike.

Reactions: SydCBR

·
Registered
111 Posts
Power isn't as fast as you twist the throttle. Cc's are relative. One can ride a HD 1584cc 96 cubic inch HD than a 600rr SS and experience a whole different ride of acceleration and power. The 600rr wld leave the HD far behind, especially on the corners. One must also factor in brake sensitivity, throttle sensitivity and clutch play along with the bikes "forgiveability". The 250 light weight and gearing allows a learner to master their skills (which btw takes a life time). The fact some are in love with acceleration and power and feel they will tire easily on a 250 shd all the more so consider it. I must say this 500 can fall into a similar category of the 250. Too many riders have been smoked with the thinking that they can control their bike with throttle alone. Typical noob mentality.
Totally agree with your statement, but the gap in performance between the 250 and the 500 is much much closer than either of the two to a supersport 600. Both 250 and 500 are both perfectly fine learner bikes. If u had absolutely no prior riding experience I would agree with u and say best start with a 250.

Reactions: vroom_vroom

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
i am splitting lanes and doing all kind of crazy stuff on fast Bangkok roads and cbr500r definitely has enough power and handling finesse to do that pretty easily.
if you rode a 400 cc dirt bike before, i am sure you can handle a cbr500r easily so just go for it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts