Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I am a brand new rider and am looking to buy my first bike. I found this 500r on FB but have no idea what to look for and be aware of when looking at a used motorcycle or specifically at the model 500. Any advice would be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Low miles. The bike looks clean and has a desirable exhaust. Price seems reasonable. Make sure all recalls are done on it.

My only question is what happened to the OE decals on the left & right fairings? If the fairings were replaced, was it due to an accident or fall? Looks like a few scuff marks on the alternator cover so I think it's a valid question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the decals. I thought it looked off but couldn't put my finger on it.

He also said he would drop the price to 2900 and have the new rear tire mounted so it's making it even more reasonable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About the missing decals, the seller mentioned that he isn't sure what happened to them and they weren't on the bike when he bought it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The bike otherwise looks good & clean in the pictures. You may never know its true history; does PA have a utility where you can check a VIN number with the DMV to verify ownership, outstanding liens etc? If the bike is clear of liens, the title is clean and you're happy with a test ride and close visual inspection, you're probably looking at a pretty good deal for $2900.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice to get on the road for under 3 grand. Good points from Blackfin. Smart move for your first bike to be a used one. I don’t really think of the 500 as a beginners bike, but that is how it is marketed. It is a reasonable first bike (albeit a bit heavy) that you will not quickly out grow. Plenty of us have come back to this displacement motorcycle after owning larger ones. Buy proper gear, relax & have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike otherwise looks good & clean in the pictures. You may never know its true history; does PA have a utility where you can check a VIN number with the DMV to verify ownership, outstanding liens etc? If the bike is clear of liens, the title is clean and you're happy with a test ride and close visual inspection, you're probably looking at a pretty good deal for $2900.
I do not think that PA has a VIN check. I think they use an outside source to do the VIN checks. And the test ride is another spot of concern. Still a new rider and I only have experience riding in the MSF which I took about a year ago so I'm a little bit nervous about taking a test ride.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm not familiar with state laws other than NC, in the US. But here, any vehicle title clearly has the "lien holder" information on the title itself and is held by that agency or individual until payment is settled. The state then releases and reissues the vehicle title with the new owner's information, less any 'lien'. No question of ownership or lien.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone.

I am a brand new rider and am looking to buy my first bike. I found this 500r on FB but have no idea what to look for and be aware of when looking at a used motorcycle or specifically at the model 500. Any advice would be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You may not be the same kind of "brand new rider" that I was, so consider the source: female, 5'6" tall, learned to ride in my mid-40's. After motorcycle school I bought a new 2013 CBR500RA straight out of the crate as my first bike. And it is still my only motorbike -- despite sales pressure, I have never needed to "upsize". It has about 25,000km which is 15,000 miles over 7 Canadian summers, mixed highway/smalltown/gravel road riding. It is a nicely balanced, very responsive, good quality machine. I have just started to have weird issues with downshifting and "not finding first gear" for sudden stops (which brought me to this forum) but aside from that, it's a treat to ride. Loves curves, fast enough to get you out of trouble, maneuverable once it's going, hates rain ruts (it hydroplanes), and you can carry a decent amount of stuff if you buy the Oxford soft saddlebags (which fade in the sun). I dropped it a couple times from standstill or 1st gear <shame!!> so it has gouge marks on the fairings, scratches on the black metal clutch cover, and the front orange signal lights got bent in like ears -- but still worked. Also I had to replace a handlebar lever each time, so look for that in the repair bills if the seller has any to offer you. Good luck, whatever you choose!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey everyone.

Looks reasonable, price and condition. As a new rider I would want a newer one which indicates what gear you're in....I think 2018 was the year they revised the display to include the gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They also added a slipper clutch. I have it on my 2019 which is the year they improved the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts