Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum.
I currently ride a ninja 500. Looking for changing the bike.
Trying to decide between CBR500R ABS and Ninja650ABS.( No interest in SS).
I am a comparatively new rider, riding for about 2-3 years now(3000 miles).
Main purpose is occasional ride to work or weekend ride. My route is all back roads, no highway...
I am 5'8 in hight and small to medium built.
What would you suggest I buy?
This will be my bike for the next 10 years.
thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You will be very comfortable on the CBR500R.
If you want more power, you will need the Ninja or a Yami FZ6.
CBR500R is cheaper, so that might also be a factor for you.
I personally do not like the Ninja 650 at all. I DO like the FZ6, but those MSRP right at $8k. More than I want to spend.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you choose the 500r wld it not be a lateral move? Do you want more hp? If that's the case choose the Ninja. Personally I am a Honda fan thus I ride the 500r

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you choose the 500r wld it not be a lateral move? Do you want more hp? If that's the case choose the Ninja. Personally I am a Honda fan thus I ride the 500r
In terms of power, CBR500R would actually be a downgrade. Power to weight ratio on the CBR500R is down compared to the Ninja 500R. Ninja 650R ABS would be a slight upgrade, but not so much, the older 500's were actually pretty quick for their time.

CBR500R would be more of an upgrade in terms of quality of fit and finish, ABS, fuel injection, build quality, suspension and ride quality, and other characteristics.

For the matter, I wouldn't go with the CBR500R (for this person) if I wanted the same or more power. Would narrow down to something like the Ninja 650R or maybe an FZ6R. Perhaps Suzuki Gladius or SVF650.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum.
I currently ride a ninja 500. Looking for changing the bike.
Trying to decide between CBR500R ABS and Ninja650ABS.( No interest in SS).
I am a comparatively new rider, riding for about 2-3 years now(3000 miles).
Main purpose is occasional ride to work or weekend ride. My route is all back roads, no highway...
I am 5'8 in hight and small to medium built.
What would you suggest I buy?
This will be my bike for the next 10 years.
thanks in advance,
Really depends on what you want from a bike and how much you're willing to spend. Looks like ABS is important to you since your two choices both have it. As well, I'm assuming you'd like a full-faired sport bike and not a naked or half naked bike.

If you're happy with the power of the Ninja 500 and just want something that looks cooler and has ABS than the CBR500r is the better choice. If you'd like something with a little more power and are willing to spend a few extra grand then go with the Ninja 650.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think money should be the only determining factor in the choice the performance will only be slightly higher on the 650.the 500r is cheaper than the ninja 650 or the FZ6R for nearly comparable performance. The old 500's were coldblooded as **** too the 500r is ready immediately to get out there and has a great torque band

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am kind of okay with the ninja 500. But, it is getting old, so dont want to spend $500 on maintenance on a <$2000 bike. If I have to spend money, I would rather buy a new one that I will keep for next 10 years, is the thought.
I think it is coming down to the 2K difference in price between the CBR500 and ninja650 and then the real life power difference for citi riding between the 2.
For back roads and citi riding , between the 2 does any one of this has a clear advantage?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi there, I hate to say it but think in terms of back roads and city riding the ninja will edge it on pure power. Handling wise (I've ridden both) can't honestly say there is that much in it!

That said $2k is a bucket load of money..

Guess - stating the obvious - go take them both out for a proper ride and go with your gut feeling..

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm coming from a 2003 Ninja 250 with 42,000 hard miles. It's been fun but it's past time for an upgrade. I wanted a 4 cylinder. But don't want a high-performance bike because of my age, speed and cost of the bike and insurance. I rode an FZ6 at a bike show and was not impressed with it. It did not feel smooth for a 4 cylinder. I always felt a vibration coming from the clutch basket area. I rode all versions of the new Kawasaki 650 twins. I was not impressed with any of them. I felt what seemed like a side to side rocking motion. They never felt smooth. I personally feel that 650cc's or larger is too large for a twin. I did ride several 6r's and was really impressed with the smoothness and power but not the riding position. I was looking at a DL-650. Never rode one or any of the V-twins except for a Ducati. The 650 Kawasaki will be noticeably faster than the Honda 500 inspite of what others have said.

When the 500 Honda's were announced, I new this was probably my next bike. I like everything about it except for the untethered gas cap and where they located the rear brake resevoir. The bike is compact and from everything I've read will be a good handling, economical and fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm not a fan of these type of questions as they normally come down to 'buy what you like/want'.
No one can choose your bike the same way as no one can choose your girlfriend/boyfriend. It's a matter of personal opinion and what the individual wants.
Get a list of bikes you are thinking about, test ride them all and make your decision.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Honda has sufficient power to be enjoyable. I enjoy the 250, as well, and that's coming down in power quite a bit from an old 700 with 80 hp. Thus, I don't expect going from the ninja 500 to the Honda 500 will be much of a letdown. Newer bike, better handling, 2 grand less than alternative. I expect you could be happier with either, so as is said above, try to take them both for a spin.
Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone...
I have been calling some dealers and insurance today.
Insurance is same for both.

Price wise, what is a good price for CBR500R ABS? Everyone is quoting me MSRP :(
what are some of the prices you guys got in the US?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This bike is in somewhat high demand (not a ton, but some), so you'll be lucky to get out the door for less than MSRP. What you might be able to do, though, is hold the dealer to MSRP as an out the door before taxes price. MSRP is what Honda believes you should have to pay to leave with the bike. I wouldn't expect taxes to go into that equation. Some dealers will charge a destination fee or something. I recall other models having destination fees published right on the Honda site, but none were shown for this bike. I didn't pay one. Thus, you might get away without that.
If you really want the best deal and arent in a big rush to get the bike, go into the dealership completely willing to walk out without the bike if they want you to pay more than MSRP plus tax. Just walk out. Honda isn't going to stop making these bikes, so you'll get one eventually.
However, if you really want one right this second, that's when you end up paying more. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it to pay more to have it now, though. It's worth whatever you think it's worth to you.
Hopefully, you will indeed get lucky and get it for less. There are several shops that are letting them go for a few hundred below MSRP.
There are a couple of long threads here where folks are reporting their out the door prices. Check those if you want to see that info. Maybe one of the low-balling dealers is near you, or near enough you could use that info as leverage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for all the advise.
Finally, I just put down advance for a 500RABS today.
I went to the store and tried both ninja 650 and cbr500 , and 500R felt more comfortable for me than ninja.
So I will be hanging out here more often :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Good choice, what colour did you get?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good choice, what colour did you get?
I am getting the Red with ABS :D
OTD(including registration, tax, title, plates, prep etc) is around ~7250. Havent picked it up yet. this week some time.. cant wait!!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
@starsdawn5. As I stated, the Ninja 650 wld be the way to go if the OP wants more hp. The reason I stated the cbr500r wld be more of a lateral move is there is not a huge difference. However I do agree as far as hp is concerned the ninja500 has more than the cbr500r.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts