Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Planning a proper tool kit...

11K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  RBS Cairns 
#1 ·
I've heard it said that the factory tool kits are somewhat of a farce. I've also heard the US kits are different from the Canadian ones, and actually contain less "tools" for some reason. (can this be true?) As my new CB500FA remains in winter storage at the dealership hundreds of kms away until spring, I have no idea what is included in my kit, but I'm fairly certain that it's lacking some goodies. So I thought it might be interesting to comprise a list of items that would make for a nice tool kit for these bikes; everything one may require, without being too bulky to fit in the compartment, nor enough to break the bank. So let's see what kind of list we can come up with!
:bathtub

Glen

#3 ·
Glen, see my intro thread for a pic of whats included in the factory tool-kit.

#4 ·
My tool kit has one Allen key, a helmet wire strap and something else - can't remember. Either way it is a joke. That said I see no reason to go overboard with tools either since I have all my tools at home where I'd likely be doing my maintenance. If I break down on the road I doubt I'd be talking out all those tools and working on the bike. I'd probably be calling AAA or some other roadside assistance. Other than a set of Allen keys, a ratchet set and some box wrenches are probably what is needed and you can't haul them around under any seat, let alone on our bikes. I'd get all the Allen key sizes needed, maybe the main box wrench sizes used, and a screwdriver with a few different tips.

#6 ·
The bolts used for my Moto Werk mirror extenders are a soft metal and a standard Allen key would slip, round out the head of the bolt, and not tighten properly. I got tired of my pushing my mirrors back into place, so on one ride I stopped at Canadian Tire and bought an inexpensive set of METRIC Allan keys and a roll of vinyl electrical tape just in case. The Metric Allen key did not slip in the bolt head and the mirrors have not moved since.

I can probably remove them from under the seat. But they are there in case I need them for something else working loose.

#7 ·
Paul has pointed out one of the major advantages of living in Canada: the Canadian Tire franchises have a plethora of useful stuff at reasonable prices; plus they used to have a store in most towns and big villages.

I miss those stores and finding 222s in almost any store (the asprin, caffine and codine pain killer).

But, I no longer live along the Canadian border, and have to take solace in having 360+ riding days per year.

#8 ·
Paul has pointed out one of the major advantages of living in Canada: the Canadian Tire franchises have a plethora of useful stuff at reasonable prices; plus they used to have a store in most towns and big villages.

I miss those stores and finding 222s in almost any store (the asprin, caffine and codine pain killer).

But, I no longer live along the Canadian border, and have to take solace in having 360+ riding days per year.
360+ riding days! I am white with envy. I would be green, but it is -19C/-2F today with the wind chill. It's 4 months until my birthday and a new riding season.

CTC is a great spot to buy metric tools, an impact deriver, and other auto motive supplies: shop rags, chain lube, etc. And like you say, they are everywhere. I was disappointed however, to find they would not plug a flat rear tire on my CB500X for me. Fortunately after pumping it up, it held air till I got home an hour later.

When Penny and I were shopping in Ogdensburg, NY we tried to buy Robax Platinum for friend there who was suffering from back pain. We were surprized to find you needed a prescription for it in America. He in Canada it is readily available off the shelf in every drug store.

#11 ·
Here's what came with my Canadian CB500FA:

Top left is the suspension pre-load adjuster. Used in combination with the bar in the lower middle. Beside the pre-load adjuster is the phillips / flathead screwdriver shaft. Black thing in the middle is the the screw driver handle. Fuse puller is beside the allan key. Lower right is the helmet holder.

#12 ·
So, looks like the Canadian kit includes pretty much all that's really required, but why is the US kit so sparse?

Glen

#13 ·
One summer day I sat down in my driveway, and started taking stuff apart on my bike. I had my toolbox beside me, and every time I actually used a wrench or socket for taking something apart, I did not replace it into the toolbox. Instead I put that tool aside. After I broke the bike down as far as I thought I would ever need to on the road, it went back together again. At the end, I had a small bundle of tools that I actually needed to work on the bike.

I bought a cheap vinyl tool roll and stuff all those tools into that. The roll goes with me whenever I plan on riding farther than I can hitch a ride back home. Easy.

#16 ·
My used bike didn't have anything but the helmet lock so I've found this thread pretty useful. I put together the following, which fits under the seat - along with the helmet lock, bungee net and bungee cords - no problem. I use it all the time for minor adjustments, installing my windscreen, changing light bulbs and tightening mirrors.

The canvas tool roll is made from a tool apron, which I cut and sewed to fit. Everything fits inside.

• Combination, multi-size, Phillips/Flat screwdriver
  • Slip joint pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Zip ties
  • Offset Phillips screwdriver
  • Adjustable wrench
  • 14mm Combination wrench
  • 12mm Combination wrench
  • 11mm Combination wrench
  • 8mm Combination wrench
  • Assorted hex keys (will revise post with sizes) held together with an O ring.
  • Flashlight
  • 2 pairs of vinyl gloves
  • 1 strip of Velcro wrap to hold the pouch shut

Attachments

Reactions: tnt2of4
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.