Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow CBR500R riders!

I just got my black beauty two weeks ago, did my first "tour" this weekend worth about 800km, clocking in at a total of 1500 now. Needless to say, the bike is a blast. :D

While riding, I didnt think about this at all, but after we´ve come home, I inspected my tires to find about 10-12mm of chicken strips on both of them (I have the Dunlop D222 by the way).
I was driving behing my buddy and while we were going pretty quickly, I still had an ounce of "comfort zone" left. I didnt want to risk too much on the first bigger ride though, so I kind of stayed at that level.
Question to you guys now :
Has anyone here ridden the Dunlops to their full extent yet? I´ve always been a bit wary of stock tires, but can these things be driven from edge to edge, or will they give in before? And what about the pegs? I kind of feel they will make contact with the ground before I´ve exhausted the width of the tire.
Anyone here with a "spirited" riding style that can offer me some insight perhaps? ;)

papapishu (who is now going to scrape all the insects off his fairing :()

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm at about 450 miles +/- a few, made a few good day trips so far and countless little trips every day to the store and back. Haven't hit too many twisty roads yet, but on the few really sharp turns with some decent speed (25-30 MPH in the turn), I can get the feeler pegs down and the bike still feels like it has plenty of grip left in it. Not sure if I'd want to do the same thing going 20 MPH faster, but the tires don't feel like they are total slouches. Air pressure is a factory stock boring 36/42 psi for the time being.

Reactions: 3Cheers

·
Registered
565 Posts
I find my stocks absolutely great, haven't gone knee down but they feel really grippy when I've leaned over as far as I dare..

Nothing wrong with chicken strips though... brown skid marks on the saddle are worse!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am at 6300 km at the moment and the tires are getting a bit slippery, losing grip :(

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
IMO, the tires are designed to lean over more than this bike's frame/footpeg positioning will allow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can anyone share experiences with them in the wet? Curious to hear how they compare to other tires like Pilot Road 3's etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Where I live we have been getting significantly more rain than normal. I've put around 1000 miles on the bike in rain and about 40 in very light snow and have had absolutely no grip problems. The only change I've made to my riding style is slowing down a little more before corners to reduce my lean angle. Even under hard acceleration and braking I have had no problems.

I'm impressed with stock performance, however; at 8000 miles the tires are showing significant signs of wear and I think I will be upgrading to Pirelli Angel GT's in the next couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The two golden rules in the rain are

1 - Don't accelerate fast
2 - Don't break hard

Other than that you will be fine, of course you already change your speed according to the road condition and visibility :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've found that everyone should have about 3/4" on tyre chicken strips because you can't lean it over any further because of the pegs.

The whole notion of Chicken strips are just a posing chest beater observation thing for dicks who think they are out to beat fellow riders. Ignore that ****. Getting a good line in a corner is talent.

(Sorry for the spelling, I'm drunk)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I've found that everyone should have about 3/4" on tyre chicken strips because you can't lean it over any further because of the pegs.

The whole notion of Chicken strips are just a posing chest beater observation thing for dicks who think they are out to beat fellow riders. Ignore that ****. Getting a good line in a corner is talent.

(Sorry for the spelling, I'm drunk)
Actually, it's practice :)

Reactions: CBR_Dave and Rowan

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can push dunlop d222s to edge to edge no problems. I have been on a track with them and many twisties and found decent grip.
But pegs are problematic. Before you lose the grip, they touch to the ground.
There is a spacer on each peg that you can remove (put the bolt back so there is something there). Removing the spacer gets you more lean angle but not past the point where you're off the edge of the tire. I did this for my last two track days and got barely to the edge of the tire. See attached.

EDIT: Remove the peg spacers at your own risk. Removing them will not allow the bike to lean past the Dunlop's grip but may lean past your ability to maintain control and composure. If you are a beginner, I would recommend you do not remove the spacers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
There is a spacer on each peg that you can remove (put the bolt back so there is something there). Removing the spacer gets you more lean angle but not past the point where you're off the edge of the tire. I did this for my last two track days and got barely to the edge of the tire. See attached.

EDIT: Remove the peg spacers at your own risk. Removing them will not allow the bike to lean past the Dunlop's grip but may lean past your ability to maintain control and composure. If you are a beginner, I would recommend you do not remove the spacers.
cool!
a properly burned tire:D
my strip was exactly the same. pegs do not allow more. if you remove the spacers, maybe a bit more yes.
i am super happy with the pirelli rosso2s now though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Anybody try the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 or the Sportmax Qualifier II yet?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Anybody try the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 or the Sportmax Qualifier II yet?
The Sportmax Qualifier II is not available in our 160 rear size.
I would imagine the Sportmax Q3 to be a bucket of fun if you can afford to change every 4 to 5k for tires.

·
Registered
565 Posts
In the wet the stocks are fine as long as you aren't being silly. I got a little slide when accelerating hard on a corner - that was rider forced and you can't mitigate the laws of physics.

That said when I do go for new ones. I'm opting to the Michelin Pilot Road 3's - which are meant to be excellent in the wet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
cool!

a properly burned tire:D

my strip was exactly the same. pegs do not allow more. if you remove the spacers, maybe a bit more yes.

i am super happy with the pirelli rosso2s now though.

I had these on my last bike. Great tires but the rear only lasted 4,000 miles. One week it had tread the next week after riding for a while I am down to the belts. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot 3's which I liked just as much.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts