Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Just curious exactly what happened? Did you slam into something? I was once on a Bay Area rush hour freeway & as I changed lanes there was a brake drum in my line (couldn鈥檛 see it because of all the traffic). Thought I was road kill but fortunatley it was convex side up. Hit it square on, thump, thump & got on down the adrenaline rush road.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! That almost sounds exactly what happened to me! Changing lanes from the 2nd to the 1st lane, ran over something (don't know what), both tires instantly blew out and the momentum from the lane change slammed me into the guard rail where I bounced back into traffic, hit a car, got ejected, and woke up in the ICU not remembering what happened. The details of what happened was according to eye witness statements on the police report. Thank GOD i was wearing a helmet! The front was scratched to ****. T-shirt and shorts other than that. Road rash head to toe. Some down to the bone. Completely shattered pelvis. Steel toe shoes did NOTHING. Something sliced right through the shoes severing 2 toes that they reattached. 2 rods in the 2 toes next to that. Had to literally learn how to walk again. I am LUCKY to be here today writing this.

Registered
Wow! That almost sounds exactly what happened to me! Changing lanes from the 2nd to the 1st lane, ran over something (don't know what), both tires instantly blew out and the momentum from the lane change slammed me into the guard rail where I bounced back into traffic, hit a car, got ejected, and woke up in the ICU not remembering what happened. The details of what happened was according to eye witness statements on the police report. Thank GOD i was wearing a helmet! The front was scratched to ****. T-shirt and shorts other than that. Road rash head to toe. Some down to the bone. Completely shattered pelvis. Steel toe shoes did NOTHING. Something sliced right through the shoes severing 2 toes that they reattached. 2 rods in the 2 toes next to that. Had to literally learn how to walk again. I am LUCKY to be here today writing this.
OMG!!!! What a horrible story. I suspect you lucked out by still being alive, still reading your story made my flesh crawl. Yours鈥 is the most horrible tale I have ever read by someone who survived. I am not going to play the role of your mom & give you the ATGATT line since I imagine you have arrived at that conclusion on your own. Maybe this would be a good time to go buy a lottery ticket. I do hope the future ramifications of this do not come back to haunt you. Best wishes going forward.

Registered
I am going to come back to your post & inquire how long was the re-hab? I had my hip replaced 5 years ago & just had my knee replaced 10 weeks ago. Absolutely a walk in the park compared to your medical adventure. In each case I was back on the bike in 5 weeks, much to my surgeon鈥檚 chagrin. Every time I have come into the orthopedic office the nurses all applaud saying, 鈥 Oh boy, here comes our bread & butter鈥. Little bitches, but I do love them.
I have read in the past that steel toed boots are not the best riding shoes because of exactly what you described. Purpose specific riding boots with shin, calf, heel, ankle armor and toe sliders are my foot wear of choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts