Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you are aware, I've been running a 55w HID kit for my low beam for quite some time, but this evening I had the opportunity to get my hands on the aforementioned LED kit. It's a plug and play affair that took only a few minutes to install after I removed my HID setup. Sadly, the ease of installation is pretty much the only thing good about it. The light output is seriously insufficient. I might go as far as to say dangerously insufficient, depending on conditions. I had high hopes for the OPT 7 kit, but they just aren't there with it yet. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
What don't you like about it? The light spread? Not bright enough? I had a XKGLOW LITE LED bulb in my CB300F and it was decent. Spread was nice and wide and the white output was nice, but the visibility was just a tad lower and the high beam was very direct.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What don't you like about it? The light spread? Not bright enough? I had a XKGLOW LITE LED bulb in my CB300F and it was decent. Spread was nice and wide and the white output was nice, but the visibility was just a tad lower and the high beam was very direct.
The color is good. No problem there. It's just not bright enough and the light isn't well focused. It doesn't penetrate far enough download and it fades away at the edges, making curves hard to see. To be honest, I like the stock halogen bulb better. I have heard that these perform better in the F models.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Curious to know the specifics of the gripe too, as I have the OPT7 Fkuxbeam 30W 6000K globes in mine and I rate them even better than my old HID setup.
My comparison was that the LED throws only slightly shorter than the hid but still markedly further them oem. But where hid tapers off in brightness, the led just kind good bright, bright, dark.

Obviously comparing a 30W led to a 55W hid it is bound to not be as bright, like I said through it is still significantly better than the paltry stock offering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've have good luck with Morimoto LEDs. I have a set installed in my Volvo for 4 years and they are brighter than typical HIDs, run cool, and have been very reliable so far. I plan to get a set for my bike at some point.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've have good luck with Morimoto LEDs. I have a set installed in my Volvo for 4 years and they are brighter than typical HIDs, run cool, and have been very reliable so far. I plan to get a set for my bike at some point.
Morimoto has a very fine reputation.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to briefly update this to mention that I moved the OPT 7 over to the high beam side and it's brilliant there. I'm not sure why there's such a huge difference, but it makes a fantastic high beam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts