Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Oopsie, I guess that I should do this

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jsonder 
#1 ·
OK, I am an old, retired dude who does a bit of trail riding for relaxation and uses his "street bike" for local transportation. I ride ~6-7K miles per year enjoying the year-round riding in southern Arizona. I started back in 1960, after graduating high school, with a 1958 Matchless 250, followed by a number of Suzuki. Hodaka, Kawasaki, and Honda bikes.

#3 · (Edited)
Nothing that street folk would call a higher performance bike. (my wife's CB350 was larger than anything I've owned ;-)

The '67 suzuki 250 scrambler was a modest revving 2 stroke and could cruise all day at 80 mph, except for gas and rider stops. More than 500 miles per day, though, and you vibrated half the night.

The picture below is from 1967 and my wife-to-be is washing her CB160 with the scrambler in the background.

#5 · (Edited)
I normally have people pictures. Here is my daughter (currently 51 years old) on my wife's CB350:

Next is my testimonial as to why one should wear a full-face helmet, taken about 6 years ago when I got too frisky on a cruiser.

My oldest son with his two youngest boys taken a few years ago.

And, my wife on her current bike.

My dirt bike, before

and after welding the subframe back on.

Not many pictures of the bikes, unless they had family on them. ;)

Oops, here's my daily rider.

#9 · (Edited)
You are never 100% safe. Gear cannot save your life in some situations. Common sense can keep you from getting into those situations. Life is a trade off.

I broke a collarbone last February in deep sand going ~2-3 mph (hot dogging showing how slow I could go); I fell over and landed squarely on the shoulder and then the full-face MX helmet hit the collarbone as the head whipped to the side. I still don't know if the impact on the shoulder or the helmet caused the break.

I have used that photo on several fora that have a lot of newbies. I started riding when (1960) 3/4 helmets were virtually the best that your neck could support. Being used to them I continued to use them for street riding for 45 year before finally getting "educated". My middle son, who had raced 250s, had been after me for years to go full face, and he had great fun reminding me of that.

Below is a picture of him with the bike that he is now into.

But, the youngest boy is the true bicycling road racer. They were expecting their first child yesterday (but are still waiting), so his riding will be curtailed for a number of months. This was taken last August.

Both of the younger boys are signed up for this ride:

http://www.deathride.com/

#11 ·
Thank you.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.