Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden bikes a lot. I've done everything from race motocross to drag racing street bikes(legally on the strip). Last bike I had was a 900 Yamaha.

I have not had one for several years and kinda have the itch to get another one. Been looking at what's out there and really like the looks of the CBR500R. I'm just a little concerned about the riding position. I ain't exactly a youngster anymore. :( Can you owners tell me how comfy they are to ride? How upright is the riding position. Stuff like that. I'm about 5' 10" 160 lbs. I don't want/need a bike to ride long distances. Maybe to work and weekend rides. I want something small and easy to handle, but I think the 250s are just too small for me. I've never really liked cruisers. Do ya'll think this is a good choice for me?? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wish I could tell you from my own personal experience on how sitting on the CBR500 was for me but unfortunately I missed my chance to sit on one. You should check if there are any motorcycles shows going on where you can sit on one and even speak to a Honda rep, or stop by your Honda dealer to see if they have one.

Going off of what I know from browsing the forums, it seems someone of your height and weight will be comfortable riding the CBR500.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.......... stop by your Honda dealer to see if they have one.

Going off of what I know from browsing the forums, it seems someone of your height and weight will be comfortable riding the CBR500.
Thanks. I plan to get to a dealer as soon as I can find one that has them in stock. Haven't called around yet....just not many around close.

Go to this site and compare the 500R with bikes that you've ridden before:

Motorcycle Ergonomics
Cool.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm about 5'7" and 150 pounds here and I sit almost entirely upright with a bit of forward lean on the bars, not too much. If I sit back further into the seat, I can tuck down and get my head under the protection of the windscreen for long, straight roads or highways. I'd imagine if you're 5'10", you'd probably be able to sit completely upright if you're interested in that kind of posture. The seat has a nice shape to it, its tapered to be narrow towards the front and wider at the back. So its easy to get your feet down at stoplights, but once you're cruising, you can sit a little further back in the seat where its wider and has much better support. Its actually a really comfortable bike to ride around town and on the highway. Very smooth engine with little vibration. Ergonomics are excellent for a sportbike. Phenomenal handling if you want something for typical city/town riding.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sweet ergo site. Thanks for the link, jsonder.

I find the seating position to be fairly upright on the R, and the footrest position is almost straight down; I'm only a few inches shorter than you.
I'm leaning on my wrists a little more than I should, and I'm only feeling it a tiny bit on 20-mile rides (and I have somewhat screwed up wrists that pain me when I merely push doors open).
The ride itself is rather plush. The seat is a bit squishy, and the suspension is quite compliant. It absorbs bumps in the road well.

I'd say you'll be fine for short rides, but sitting on one will be more informative.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm not a sports bike kinda guy really and didn't want to be laying down behind a fairing. Plus I can avoid highways 95% of the time. I bought the 500F and I love the posture. It's very comfortable and very easy to ride even for a noob like me. If you have a good helmet it also helps with the naked bike.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Go to this site and compare the 500R with bikes that you've ridden before:

Motorcycle Ergonomics
Now that was a good link! ;)

It let me see what the f bars would probably be like on a x. It would put me in a forward lean but not as aggressive as the Ninja 250 which was not aggressive. The 6' height was just right but I used to wear 34" inseam but all my pants are 32" now. Most be shrinking with age! :rolleyes: The knee angle would put less strain on my knees and hips. I occasionally have hip problems on the Ninja from too many dirt bike races and putting my foot down. If I'd known then what I know now I would have ignored it anyway!:D

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I am exactly the same height and weight as you. I am also not a 25 year old kid anymore. I also ride dirt bikes.
I sat on the CBR500R, and it was PERFECT. I wanted to ride it home right then and there. I didn't buy it, because I wanted a different color, so I had to order mine.
Go to your nearest dealer and sit on one. Take your checkbook, you will want to take it home.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am exactly the same height and weight as you. I am also not a 25 year old kid anymore. I also ride dirt bikes.
I sat on the CBR500R, and it was PERFECT. I wanted to ride it home right then and there. I didn't buy it, because I wanted a different color, so I had to order mine.
Go to your nearest dealer and sit on one. Take your checkbook, you will want to take it home.
That's what I'm talkin' about. I see one in our garage in the near future. And it's gonna be bright red. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dave , I own a very BRIGHT red abs R and its fantastic! I bought mines and put about 200 miles on it in just a few days lol so trust me you will love it!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dave, I'm turning 60 is a couple months and am 5'10" to 5'11" (depending on if I've been to the chiropractor recently) weigh 175lbs. Also have a bum rotator cup in my left shoulder
I still race on an 03 CBR 600RR with our endurance team in TX & do some Solo 30 (30 min) sprint races

The CBR500R has a comfortable seating position with the bars high enough to not bother my shoulder.
The peg height is low enough to be comfortable but not so low as to interfere with the bikes responsive corning abilities
The seat height is lower than the 600RR so it is comfortable sitting at stoplights with both feet easily touching the ground
The seat is well padded but not too squishy.
kinda firm & comfortable
Bike has enough performance to keep it interesting but still gets exceptional fuel economy.
The bike is just plain FUN to ride !

I'm amazed how responsive it is cornering & changing directions (like thru chicanes)

The suspension if very forgiving and works well for normal riding.
It does show it's limits when pushing the bike up to 'track pace'

I do miss the double front rotors & calipers of the 600RR & 1000RR
The brakes on the 500 are adequate but show their limits when pushed hard
I must use both front & rear brakes where as on the 600 or 1000 just the front brakes are more than needed.
In other words I can't push my brake markers like on the bigger bikes with dual front calipers - I have to plan accordingly

It is also impossible to switch the shifter from standard to GP (reverse) shift using OEM components
I'm working on figuring out how to reverse the shift pattern to GP shift like on the race bike by using a "hodge-podge" of parts from other bikes rear sets.
I miss way too many shifts & have to constantly think about which way to move shift lever when riding.
Guess I've been riding GP shift too long :(
Fortunately I'm still breaking it in so the times I have miss-shift'd I have not 'over-revved' the engine too badly before I catch it & pull the clutch in :)

A company in Thailand makes rear sets but I am betting theirs raise the foot peg position up & back which would defeat (for me) the comfort of mine as a city commuter bike

So long as you keep these things in mind when riding it is a GREAT bike to ride in town !
It is my daily commuter...comfy, responsive, quick handling, & has good gas mileage

The price is quite attractive too !
I looked an many many bikes for my street bike commuter from 250's to sport tourers like ST1300, FJR1300, BMW K1600GT, etc

I chose the CBR500R because it was the most fun to ride right out of the box w/o any mods & it was not too heavy for daily city riding

I'll soon build a saddle bag stand off frame for my Cortech Sport soft bags & I'll be set to commute & go to the store & pick up a couple gallons of mile & other groceries that will fit in my bags

BTW I had the Cortech SPort bags on my CBR1000RR & got spoiled - they are SO much better than a backpack ~!!

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great post/info! I was already sold. Now I can't wait to locate one and go check it out. This internet shopping is OK, but now I'm ready to actually see one up close and personal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Man on a mission". Let us know how it goes.
:cool:

( When you get it, post a pic! )
I'll do it! I have these wild ideas from time to time and have learned to make myself wait a couple of weeks before making a sudden "big purchase"... just to make sure...so I'm not sorry about it later. But I can still go look. :)

I was just thinking earlier that it's been right at 15 years since I sold my last bike. Wow how time flies! I got sidetracked with another hobby the last 20 years and hadn't even really thought about bikes for a long time. Guy I work with started talking bikes last week and I got the fever. I've loved anything with a motor since I was like 10 years old...and that was a long time ago!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Great post/info! I was already sold. Now I can't wait to locate one and go check it out. This internet shopping is OK, but now I'm ready to actually see one up close and personal.

Where are you located ?

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dave, I'm turning 60 ...

It is also impossible to switch the shifter from standard to GP (reverse) shift using OEM components
I'm working on figuring out how to reverse the shift pattern to GP shift like on the race bike by using a "hodge-podge" of parts from other bikes rear sets.
I miss way too many shifts & have to constantly think about which way to move shift lever when riding.
Guess I've been riding GP shift too long :(
Fortunately I'm still breaking it in so the times I have miss-shift'd I have not 'over-revved' the engine too badly before I catch it & pull the clutch in :) ...

I'll soon build a saddle bag stand off frame for my Cortech Sport soft bags & I'll be set to commute & go to the store & pick up a couple gallons of mile & other groceries that will fit in my bags
Really good post. Exactly how I feel about the 500x. I do most of my grocery shopping on my bike (just to ride)!

i.e. GP shift: Rode Hondas and a Penton for years. Then try riding a Bultaco fast through the woods! Down shifting when you want to brake! :confused: Braking when you want to down shift! :( And nothing when you want to up shift! :eek: ;):)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Really good post. Exactly how I feel about the 500x. I do most of my grocery shopping on my bike (just to ride)!

i.e. GP shift: Rode Hondas and a Penton for years. Then try riding a Bultaco fast through the woods! Down shifting when you want to brake! :confused: Braking when you want to down shift! :( And nothing when you want to up shift! :eek: ;):)
I had a '74 Laverda 750SF2 that was like that - shifter on right side
Was confusing converting to left side shift !

1 - 20 of 56 Posts