Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the 600 mile oil change to my 2022 CB500F. I have since driven it 150 miles. During the oil change I kept adding oil until it was at the full mark on the sight glass. I know it should take 2.9 gallons, but ended up filling it with about 3.1 gallons to get to the full mark. I checked the oil level after my recent ride and the oil level was beyond full. The sight glass was clear and I didn't see any tell tale signs of foaming. My question is should I just drain some out or just leave it be?

· Registered
563 Posts
Drain a bit of it out. You do not want it overfilled. I’m sure you referred to quarts & not gallons!
When I change oil/filter I put in the bit under 3 quarts, run the engine for a bit, turn it off & wait for the oil to settle. Then by using the sight glass I evaluate the oil level & adjust accordingly. You really do not need the oil up to the very top line, just somewhere between the two lines.
Easier to add than take out. For overfills I have large syringe with a rubber tube attached which I can insert into the crankcase to remove excess oil without having to back out the drain plug.

· Registered
103 Posts
Yes, as Motorhonace says, drain off some oil. If you don't, you may get excess crankcase pressure and may blow a seal or force excess oil out of breathers. Some engines, like that on my Moto Guzzi, will blow excess oil back into the air cleaner and ruin the filter and they are not easy to replace on Guzzis. The upper mark on your oil sight glass is just that:: The upper level. Best not to exceed.

Ralph

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, as Motorhonace says, drain off some oil. If you don't, you may get excess crankcase pressure and may blow a seal or force excess oil out of breathers. Some engines, like that on my Moto Guzzi, will blow excess oil back into the air cleaner and ruin the filter and they are not easy to replace on Guzzis. The upper mark on your oil sight glass is just that:: The upper level. Best not to exceed.

Ralph
I knew foaming and the resulting oil starvation can be a problem, but I haven't considered excess pressure. Thanks. I checked the oil level again after the engine cooled down and it was at the full mark, but the level is beyond the top of the glass when it's hot. I will definitely let some out.

· Registered
8 Posts
It shouldn't have hurt anything.
Bring it back down to the correct level and if you haven't sprung any new leaks all your seals should still be good.
The worst I've seen from an overfilled engine is sluggish performance and excess oil being sucked through the PCV vent and being burned.
Everything should be returned to normal once the oil level is returned to normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts