Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm preparing for my first oil change. I planned on using a full synthetic oil, Mobil Racing 4T 10W-40 but saw that Honda recommends 10W-30 (always go by the owners manual, it'll save you time and money).

However, Mobil doesn't make a motorcycle synthetic in that weight and using a heavier weight will lower MPG which I don't want. So, I've opted to go with Honda's full synthetic, HP4S 10W-30. I'm using Honda's OEM oil filter as well.

Honda builds quality products and I'm sure their oil will is just as good as Mobil.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Doubt you'd have any problems with 10-40. I have a few bottles of the Mobil 1 and will probably use those up before I spend money on anything else.

Castrol makes a part-synthetic 10-30, comparable to the basic Honda oil. Lucas makes a synthetic 10-30.

It's never been officially confirmed, but generally acknowledged in the Industry that Honda's oils are supplied by Mobil, so the Honda synthetic oil is probably a custom variant of Mobil 1 in any case...

·
Registered
40 Posts
If this is your first oil change you should hold off on the synthetic for a while. I was going to do the same thing but my dealer highly recommended waiting until at least 2000 miles or better yet closer to 4000 miles. Both guys said that the engine isn't quite fully broken in yet and that going to synthetic too soon could lead to valve issues later.

I'm going to head the advice and wait it out. I'm no mechanic but better safe than sorry. For now I'll still to the GP4 that the manual recommends.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i use honda full synthetic oil and it is as good as recognized brands. It is coming from Japan to Thailand also. 10 - 30 is fine but for Thailand i prefer 10 - 40. It is hot here.
Hello from Nakhon Si Thamarat. Temp should not make any difference since you have a liquid cooled engine and if it's working correctly your water Temp should remain constant. If air-cooled I can see your point.n

·
Registered
237 Posts
NO mileage dictates when to use synthetic oil. This is 2022. There doesnt NEED to be a break in period with real oil first.

Honda doesnt make oil. It buys it from someone else and puts their name on it.
Its not special in any way - just over priced.

Using 10w40 instead of 10w30 might decrease mpg, but it would not be noticeable.
Do you need 40 weight with higher outside temps?? With the modern engines setups we have now, and I'm no engine expert, I'm guessing not.
But also it wont hurt anything to use 10w40 instead of 10w30.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with your dealer, engines and transmissions don't bed In fully until about 4,000 miles, although it won't hurt with fully synthetic at first oil change, it gets a better chance to bed in nicely on part synthetic. P.S I have a mate who builds offshore power boat engines and he uses Mineral oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts