Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a cb500f that was bought new just over 2 years ago, has about 500 miles on the odometer (yes, that's not a typo, five hundred miles) but has not had a single oil change.

Is that a problem?

Also it has a Hondacare service plan for five years. Would being this late with the first oil change void the service plan?

It starts fine and rides well. I didn't notice any problems with it at all.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would think that, unless it has been stored badly (outside, in the damp), then you would be fine.

You would have to ask Honda about the warranty. If the lack of servicing voids it, then you can use it as a bargaining point to negotiate the price. Personally, I’d not be too worried about a warranty, but then I am an experienced rider and competent mechanic, and I generally don’t let anyone else work on my machines anyway.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The first service interval (and oil change) for the bike is at 600 miles. Although you are also supposed to replace it annually, if longer, I would also not be worried about the bike or it invalidating the care plan. But I would get the first service done now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. It seems to be running perfectly well, and looks like it was kept in a garage. It's been a while since i've owned a bike and I don't want to get screwed somehow, that's all.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Change oil immediately! At least once per riding season

Reactions: ADIOS600

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, old oil absorbs water from the atmosphere, which is why you should change it after a year, but if the engine has only done 500 miles and has 2 year old oil in it, I can't see it doing any harm, I would change the oil and filter as soon as possible (as old oil is not as good at lubricating as new oil) but I would not worry about it. Hope you like the new bike..

Gary

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you do the 600 mile service now it will include an oil change etc. As Honda have already been paid to service the bike, there is no point doing things like that yourself. When you take the bike in they will immediately waste your new oil by replacing it anyway. And the first service is the most important anyway so after two years it is due that first checkover to make sure if left the factory without any hidden problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts