Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2016 CB500F a few months ago, it came without the Honda "precision" tool kit. I need to put my own tool kit together.

I understand that the OEM Tool kit contains a reversible screwdriver and a pair of pliers. What other tools are normally included in the Honda tool kit for the CB500F?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit of searching in the forum has turned up the following suggestions for an onboard tool kit.
  • Combination Phillips/Flat screwdriver
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Zip ties
  • Offset Phillips screwdriver
  • 150mm vice grips
  • 14mm wrench
  • 12mm wrench
  • 11mm wrench
  • 8mm wrench
  • Assorted hex keys (sizes not given)
This looks about right but the 11mm wrench appears out of place. This was never included in my previous metric OEM tool kits for other bikes but rather a 10mm wrench.

It would also be nice if I knew the required hex key sizes.

The correct sized C spanner for the rear shock absorber would be nice but I expect that would be very hard to source.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tool kit, tool kit!!! What tool kit? My 2016 came with some very basic, you gotta be kidding, tools.
No rear shock spanner!!! I bought one because it is nice to adjust the rear shock. Of course this bike is not exactly user friendly for road-side repairs. Cob together what you think works best & pray. Fortunately the bike is so reliable that you will probably never need too much. I do pack a tubeless tire repair kit & small compressor, which I have never used. Maybe a proper Swiss Army knife is all you really need. Sort of kidding, but not much. The above list that you mentioned ed should suffice + a cell phone & $$$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2022 CB500F came with just a 5mm allen wrench and a plastic fuse puller. I have added a tire repair kit with CO2 cannisters, nitrile gloves and a flashlight.
CB500F 2022. Tool Kit(?) One C spanner and an extension tube for adjusting the suspension; One double ended screwdriver; one alen Key. one 14mm open ended spanner. A fuse puller. All a bit Mickey Mouse but other bike brands are similar. It you needed to change a fuse, for instance, you would not be able to get under the seat/saddle. To be fair, the Honda machine looks like a seriously quality product. Brian R

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I considered a tyre puncher repair kit but then realised that I had only needed it once in four decades and well over a million kilometres of motorcycle riding.

The most common on-road maintenance that I do while riding is chain adjusting, chain lubrication, tightening things that become loose and the occasional oil change. Still waiting on my centre stand to come from China.

My remaining questions are now:
  1. Would it be better to carry a 10mm or 11mm wrench (spanner)?
  2. What size hex key(s) should I carry?
  3. Can a normal tool be used to pull a fuse? The cheapest Honda fuse puller that I can find is from the US at about USD 30 including shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
CB500F 2022. Tool Kit(?) One C spanner and an extension tube for adjusting the suspension; One double ended screwdriver; one alen Key. one 14mm open ended spanner. A fuse puller. All a bit Mickey Mouse but other bike brands are similar. It you needed to change a fuse, for instance, you would not be able to get under the seat/saddle. To be fair, the Honda machine looks like a seriously quality product. Brian R
That's where the 5mm allen would come in...2 allen screws holding the seat down, then you have your little fuse puller. This is my third Honda motorcycle and it has the least amount of tools in the "kit"...LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
I considered a tyre puncher repair kit but then realised that I had only needed it once in four decades and well over a million kilometres of motorcycle riding.

The most common on-road maintenance that I do while riding is chain adjusting, chain lubrication, tightening things that become loose and the occasional oil change. Still waiting on my centre stand to come from China.

My remaining questions are now:
  3. Can a normal tool be used to pull a fuse? The cheapest Honda fuse puller that I can find is from the US at about USD 30 including shipping.
I would get one of these: Amazon.com: GEARWRENCH 8 Piece Metric Folding Hex Key Set - 83506 : Everything Else . And I'm sure a small needle nose pliers would work on handling the fuses. $30 for a little plastic fuse puller is absurd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two questions now remain:
I don't want to carry a full set of hex keys. I just want to know which sizes, besides 5mm, are required for regular maintenance work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts