Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my CB500 in early 2020. It was brand new still sitting in the showroom. I put all but 5 miles on it myself. At 6000 miles the rear tire is breaking down. Has anyone seen this before? What is not visable in the pics is the center has become flat out all the way around the tire. I am a new rider and ride conservatively. I have been concerned enough to replace both tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IMHO this tyre just need some twisties. OEM tyres are not top shelf exactly but in this case there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are those Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300 radials? If they are... they're a perfectly reliable and well made tire. I don't see any indication the tire is wearing abnormally. It's not unusual for the rear tire to flatten in the center, but it's normally more pronounced on bias-ply tires. Check the air pressure regularly to Honda's suggested pressures. And I wouldn't suggest trying to "correct" the 'flattening out" by lowering the air pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
Well tires do "disintegrate" due to a lack of use. A bike sitting for a long period of time will develop a flat spot from where it sat for months without being rotated to keep it's shape, this would be lumpy when you ride and the sidewall may crack. If it's not that bad the tire will correct and form but stay aware of sidewall cracks. When was the last time you rode your bike? Is the tire just have a flat sport or worn out around the middle, which would be your conservative riding style, either that or you lock up your back tire all the time :)

"
Do motorcycle tires go bad with age?
Motorcycle tires wear out from use, but they can also expire from age. ... In fact, most tire companies put the "sell by" date somewhere out around five years from the date of manufacture. So unless you don't expect to wear the tire out within five years from the date that's stamped on the sidewall, don't sweat it.Sep 11, 2019

Setting The Record Straight On Motorcycle Tire Age ...
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, these tires are from a 2020 cb500F and looking at the groves they look like Michelin Road 5 (I guess) and those are no OEM, real Michelins.

Hard to know what happened, usually Michelins do not wear down to manifactuing defects even if there could be few cases. Usually it's best to check the tire pressure now and then as that might take down the lifetime. That and crazy driving and really bad roads.

I have stock Road 5 on my 2019F and so far the wear and tear has been normal, nothing unexpected. I suspect the back tire needs to be replaced after 10k and the front after four years' of use as those don't ear down, but they age, especially if always outside and the temperature is very high or low (my bike is 99% of the time inside a garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts