Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
My 2016 CBR500R is not starting right away. It has gotten worse it feels like everyday it is getting harder and harder to start. I have changed the spark plugs, air filter to KandN and the battery. Still the same. Could it be fuel injectors? I ride everyday and the motorcycle has 24.5k miles

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
May be faulty kickstand safety switch. Try starting it with the kickstand up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
I thought the kickstand safety switch shuts the engine off if you put it in gear with the kickstand down, and has nothing to do with starting.

To the OP, did you do a valve adjustment check when you changed the plugs? You had already done 95% of the work, and you are at the mileage where it is due or past due. A couple of tight valves could cause starting difficulties.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There are posts from past years about the neutral switch, and how its made, causing this problem.
The neutral switch indicator comes on yet the switch causes this no start, hard start problem.
You replace the switch and fixed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are posts from past years about the neutral switch, and how its made, causing this problem.
The neutral switch indicator comes on yet the switch causes this no start, hard start problem.
You replace the switch and fixed!
That's right, it is the neutral sensor. Same happen to me. I replaced the neutral sensor and issue fixed!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That's right, it is the neutral sensor. Same happen to me. I replaced the neutral sensor and issue fixed!
Same here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/QUOTE]
I thought the kickstand safety switch shuts the engine off if you put it in gear with the kickstand down, and has nothing to do with starting.

To the OP, did you do a valve adjustment check when you changed the plugs? You had already done 95% of the work, and you are at the mileage where it is due or past due. A couple of tight valves could cause starting difficulties.
The bike has 25k miles and I have not done a valve adjustment. I have read a lot about poeple doing valve adjustment and everything was to Spec all the way to 45k miles. I don't want to pay $600 for a valve adjustment that don't need adjusting.

·
Registered
2014 500R
402 Posts
Since you ride everyday ... and the symptom is consistent with a worn Neutral sensor/switch. Around $20 and DIY (do it yourself).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So... the problem is not solved. Well kind of.
I bought the sensor to the kickstand and replaced it. $55 usd down the drain. Sadly
I still have the same issue. With the kickstand down it has trouble starting. With the kickstand up starts like the first day I purchased it.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,261 Posts
With the kickstand down it has trouble starting. With the kickstand up starts like the first day I purchased it.
What do you mean by "trouble"?

The engine doesn't crank at all?
The engine cranks and cranks but doesn't fire?
The engine cranks and it fires and sputters and might catch and start running on its own or it might not?

·
Registered
2014 500R
402 Posts
When the same issue occurred on my 500R, like everyone else, given the "kickstand workaround" (i.e. moving the kickstand up, the engine starts immediately), it's only logical to think "it must be the kickstand switch", but it is NOT. Luckily, I decided to test my hunch (with a multimeter) and investigate further (factory circuit diagram) before blindly throwing new parts (and money) at the problem.

The kickstand switch is wired in "reverse order" to what one would be logically thinking. When the kickstand is down, the kickstand switch is OFF. And the main point is, the engine is suppose to start when the kickstand is down (i.e. switch is OFF). [side note for the technically inclined, as per factory wiring diagram, i can confirm that the kickstand switch circuit will "close to ground" (i.e when ON). The ECU makes the decision on when to allow ignition]. This means, for this bike and this particular problem, it is almost certain (99%), the problem is not the kickstand switch. In theory, the kickstand switch can be completely disconnected and the bike should start normally.

Honda has profited nicely from people needlessly buying new kickstand switch for this increasingly common problem.
The solution to this problem is already stated in above posts (and confirmed by a few), so i am not going to repeat it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Eds is right

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
omg 😲 I should of looked at this post at the dealership. I knew that was the part but when I got to the dealership, I said when the kickstand is up, it starts and they said kickstand sensor. I don't feel too smart right now. 😕

1 - 17 of 17 Posts