Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a metal noise almost sound like a shaft worn out bc of bearrrings. Not saying that’s what it is just that it sounds like that best way to describe it also having it big down on the top 5 th 6 gear. Any suggestions it’s not thrown any codes light or any thing. It’s 2021 500r abs. Any help any idea or anything to look for

· Registered
1,453 Posts
I guess the bike is out of warranty ? If still in warranty, take it to the dealer.

Check the chain tightness and wear.
Check that the rear axle is aligned and tight.
Lift each wheel and check for noise when rotating the wheel.
Remove each wheel and check the bearings.

Is the noise there when the clutch lever is pulled in ?
Is the oil level correct ?

Good luck.

· Registered
421 Posts
Everything ExTex said. (y) But I'd be amazed if there's a bad bearing on a 2021 model. I would start by looking for any abnormal wear on either front or rear tires, then concentrating on the chain and sprockets.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the bike is out of warranty ? If still in warranty, take it to the dealer.

Check the chain tightness and wear.
Check that the rear axle is aligned and tight.
Lift each wheel and check for noise when rotating the wheel.
Remove each wheel and check the bearings.

Is the noise there when the clutch lever is pulled in ?
Is the oil level correct ?

Good luck.
I replaced the front and rear sproket, and chain yesterday road it around town and and it felt like a caddy then I get ready to ride to the loan star rally and about half way there about 20 miles in and that broke bearring like sound came back you can feel it in the foot pegs. And No I don’t believe the sound is there when you pull in the clutch and the oil level is correct. It sounds and feels like it is coming from bottom part of engine but I have a helmet on and trying to drive. It seems to only start happening when you get the bike really warmed up usually about 15- min into the ride. But now it’s started the bogging down in the mid to top end of gears 5 and 6. So I’m ready to throw my hands up. And no I bought the bike used from a dealer with 1500 miles on it I rode all over this past summer on road trips I currently have. About 13k on it so warranty is no Bruno.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance on getting a sound byte?
I can try with my phone just difficult trying going down the road bc it’s usually at higher speeds but I’ll try tomm. Also let me run this by you I was told that it’s the bearing on the from sprocket usually caused from over tightening it. I had took it to a shop and they tightened bc I was away from home ended up having to buy tool and lossen it.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
I can try with my phone just difficult trying going down the road bc it’s usually at higher speeds but I’ll try tomm. Also let me run this by you I was told that it’s the bearing on the from sprocket usually caused from over tightening it. I had took it to a shop and they tightened bc I was away from home ended up having to buy tool and lossen it.
There should be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of play in the chain. Check to see the chain is not misaligned. If it’s the countershaft bearing… that’s not good.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Post ReplyReply Is that plausible to crack or brake the barrings on the front sprocket shaft due to over tightening the chain?
Yes, A chain too tight causes a lot of strain on the counter shaft and thus it’s associated bearing, not to mention the added stress on the chain itself. Going over a bump will further tighten the chain. Not good.
More slack is better than too little when it comes to chains. Too much slack, however, can cause driveline lash which can make for notchy shifting and banging gears as the lash is taken up when the clutch is let out while accelerating.

Before every ride I generally check my chain slack with the toe of my boot. It takes two seconds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts