Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has been garaged stored for a while. Battery was dead. Did a jump start and let it run for about 30 min. MIL is flashing 86. I ran it (gently) up and down the street a few times and then shut it off. Now I have no start, no crank from starter and MIL 86 still flashing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Battery was dead.
And it's still dead...
Find a motorcycle battery charger (NOT a car charger) and charge it.
Disconnect battery from charger, wait 24 hours and (before you ride it) test the voltage. It should read 12.6 to 12.8 volts.
Right after charging, a lead acid battery measures much higher voltage.
After the wait, 12.0 volts and under is fully discharged.

If the battery was fully discharged for months it is likely permanently damaged.

Then there is age. I just replaced the well cared for OEM battery in my 2014. That's seven years, very long life for a lead acid battery. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And it's still dead...
Find a motorcycle battery charger (NOT a car charger) and charge it.
Disconnect battery from charger, wait 24 hours and (before you ride it) test the voltage. It should read 12.6 to 12.8 volts.
Right after charging, a lead acid battery measures much higher voltage.
After the wait, 12.0 volts and under is fully discharged.

If the battery was fully discharged for months it is likely permanently damaged.

Then there is age. I just replaced the well cared for OEM battery in my 2014. That's seven years, very long life for a lead acid battery. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am going to pull the battery and charge it in the morning. Will post an update. **** back injury won’t keep me off her this year.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks. I am going to pull the battery and charge it in the morning. Will post an update. **** back injury won’t keep me off her this year.
Don't bother charging your old battery. It's time for a new battery. Invest in a Battery Tender. Fit the "pigtail" to your battery so you can hook up the Battery Tender any time the bike is not in use. Get a sealed gel battery so no chance of acid leaks on your bike's paint.

Ralph

Reactions: ADIOS600
1 - 6 of 6 Posts