Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2013 CBR500R that was in an accident.
Without the cluster pluged in it won't do anything, but even though the cluster is smashed in and that all I can see is the neutral light and abs light, the bike will crank with it plugged in.

Now I've checked all the fuses, the bank angle sensor is still mounted and upright correctly (whether it's broken or not, I don't know. Is that a thing that happens or can happen), the fuel pump works, but isn't getting power, and the coils aren't getting power, so no spark.

The plugs look fine, I've definitely got anough cranking power as I've used jumper cable to another running bike.
I've tried cranking it with the clutch in, stand up, still no evident spark.

The bike is wrecked, so I'm not interested in keeping it running, just as long as I know the engine does and will run is fine. Pressumably it was running up until whomever had a prang on it. And I'm not looking at spending much, if any money on trying to start it.

Anyone that might have suggestions, would be of great help.

Registered
Well the first thing I would do is investigate whether the immobiliser is working regarding the system recognising the key. If you have the red led on the dash then that's easy enough. Could be kill switch for fuel pump, crank sensor for spark, damaged speedo head. It has to have a good battery on board too. Just some of many things 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well the first thing I would do is investigate whether the immobiliser is working regarding the system recognising the key. If you have the red led on the dash then that's easy enough. Could be kill switch for fuel pump, crank sensor for spark, damaged speedo head. It has to have a good battery on board too. Just some of many things 馃
I have suspisions that it's got something to do with the Honda HISS Immobiliser system on the bike as that would make sense, but how in the world do I test that, as the dash is too smashed up for me to see any light. All I can see on the dash is the neutral light and abs light, and that's it.

The key is bent, but can still be used, and I've been told by a lock smith that it's very very very unlikly the chip in the key has broken or messed up.

Registered
The HISS indicator is third from the right (HISS, ABS, Right indicator). For 24 hours after the key has been removed this indicators normally flashes, although this feature can be disabled.

The process is that once the bike is turned on and the kill switch in the run position, this indicator will light, then extinguish once the chip has been recognized. So it should still flash once even if the 24-hour feature is disabled. If you can verify the indicator is working then you can probably rule out the immobilizer as a problem.

Is the panel damaged that you just cannot see the lights or the LEDs underneath are broken too? A replacement, maybe from a breaker or borrowed, may probably be the easiest way to test as electric methods will probably be more expensive.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The HISS indicator is third from the right (HISS, ABS, Right indicator). For 24 hours after the key has been removed this indicators normally flashes, although this feature can be disabled.

The process is that once the bike is turned on and the kill switch in the run position, this indicator will light, then extinguish once the chip has been recognized. So it should still flash once even if the 24-hour feature is disabled. If you can verify the indicator is working then you can probably rule out the immobilizer as a problem.

Is the panel damaged that you just cannot see the lights or the LEDs underneath are broken too? A replacement, maybe from a breaker or borrowed, may probably be the easiest way to test as electric methods will probably be more expensive.
Okay easy, yeah the cluster is really badly smashed up, not much left of it.
I'll see what I can do with the cluster, might be able to get away with just another LED or something to to get see if the light will work, inidcating the HISS system.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

So had a look at the bike again, any ideas if the HISS Light just never comes on? Whether the ignition is on or off with the key out?

Registered
If you have checked the fuses and wiring, so you know it is not a power supply problem, then it probably needs to be seen by a mechanic or dealer who can is able to the diagnostic information.

But the light should always come on when first powered up until the immobilizer is disabled. And unfortunately it is part of the ECU, so it cannot by bypassed other than by rewiring the bike to use a U.S. ECU and loom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts