Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just did this on my 500r, I took the aft slip on of the stock exhaust off and ran it like that on the ramp here at work, sounds great idling and sounds aggressive riding, so I am thinking that instead of ordering a slip on I will just leave that off and buy a chrome exhaust tip from OReilly auto and put on the end. I shouldn't have to add an ecm or remap since I won't be doing anything to the intake, anyone got any good educated opinions on that before I do? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I shouldn't have to add an ecm or remap since I won't be doing anything to the intake, anyone got any good educated opinions on that before I do? Thanks guys.
But you will be seriously reducing your back-pressure and therefore performance and happiness of your engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ya, you will definitely be doing more than you think. Those can's do more than just sound. You will probably run leaner which will cause dmg over time... So, my educated opinion is leave the exhaust on lol

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
These bikes are EFi.
Do they have a 0xy sensor? The ECU will compensate. They won't run lean.
Marmite makes a good point though, back-pressure can be tuned to maximize the torque curve of the engine.
You see alot of Harley dudes running dual open pipes. Sounds like crap in my opinion, but they love that sound.
Only reason to change the muffler on these 500 bikes would be for "looks", or you want a little bit more throaty sound.
I would do it just for "looks" on my bike. Some of them look pretty cool.
I wouldn't be expecting any performance gains from a slip-on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From looking at pictures, it seems there isn't a sensor on the silencer part of the exhaust. So it's technically possible, but a dyno run would likely show poor performance. Also, I don't know what it's like in Tennessee, but in the UK that would be like riding around with a 12ft neon sign over my head, saying 'Pull ME Over!!!'

To be honest, I think this is something most of us do when doing a job that requires taking the silencer off. It sounds cool, and worth it for a chuckle, but you woudn't do it all the time. Would you? :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, there isn't an O2 sensor on the bike, and in Tennessee everybody has a loud bike, truck too, the main reason I would be doing this is for the safety aspect, people drive like maniacs here and this way maybe they would hear me even if they don't happen to see me. However, I am a true country boy and I do like the sound of straight pipes on anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a lot of wrong information going on in this thread.

First off the bike DOES have an O2 sensor.

Second I highly doubt that removing the muffler will hurt performance, because the aftermarket systems are straight through meaning that they will not have any backpressure as well.

The bike has a catalytic converter on it which is very restrictive itself.

if you look at the Leo Vince GP Corsa full racing exhaust system it is all straight through with no restrictions at all and there have been claims of noticeable power gains on the stock ecu.

Also having less backpressure will not hurt your engine. especially if you use engine braking a lot, that helps keep your rings sealed.

The one thing I do agree with is if you remove the muffler it will become a cop magnet. because that bike is obviously supposed to have a muffler and im sure a cop will notice that , its not a Harley by any means.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you look at the Leo Vince GP Corsa full racing exhaust system it is all straight through with no restrictions at all and there have been claims of noticeable power gains on the stock ecu.
Yes, but the GP Corsa exhaust is a racing exhaust where low rpm torque is not a priority.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can I jump in here, I was thinking of running an electronic cut out right before the stock muffler .....aftermarket pipes to me are waste of cash unless you want the look as previously mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Riding with the pipe off is unbearable for the rider. Too high sound and not that nice tone. if riding w/out pipe gives any benefit, there will be no pipes on motogp etc racing bikes i think.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You think it would be unbearable at highway speeds? Plus motoGP riders don't need to get the attention of texting while driving and parenting soccer moms not double checking their blind spots but I totally see the GP reference and agree.

Sorry for the run on

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Ah ha. Yup, I thought so.
I don't have my bike yet, so I couldn't go check it out for myself.

They don't put 0xy sensors in the muffler. They are usually slightly downstream of the headpipe, in front of the CAT.

If the stock muffler is too quiet, just get a slip-on.
I know they cost alot, but it would be worth it for looks and sound.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is a lot of wrong information going on in this thread.

Second I highly doubt that removing the muffler will hurt performance, because the aftermarket systems are straight through meaning that they will not have any backpressure as well.

The bike has a catalytic converter on it which is very restrictive itself.

Also having less backpressure will not hurt your engine. especially if you use engine braking a lot, that helps keep your rings sealed.

The one thing I do agree with is if you remove the muffler it will become a cop magnet. because that bike is obviously supposed to have a muffler and im sure a cop will notice that , its not a Harley by any means.
+1

BTW - You'll notice the Leo full exhaust has what looks like an expansion chamber in the place of the CAT
I suspect they tuned it & found it best to keep the chamber to maintain back pressure & power

I found on the backup CBR600RR we bought as a "B" race bike that the stock exhaust gave more torque that a slip on !

Stock exhaust had 3 ft/lb more torque and 3 less HP
Slip on had 3 more HP but lost 3ft/lb torque

Same dyno, same day, just a couple hours difference in time of day on dyno runs (change from stock to slip-on)
Dyno was in climate controlled room

Has to be the back pressure change from restricted stock exhaust to free flow slip-on

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I found on the backup CBR600RR we bought as a "B" race bike that the stock exhaust gave more torque that a slip on !
Stock exhaust had 3 ft/lb more torque and 3 less HP
Slip on had 3 more HP but lost 3ft/lb torque
Has to be the back pressure change from restricted stock exhaust to free flow slip-on.
Exactly correct. It's always a trade-off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is all good info guys, but, I don't know where you guys are from, but in Tennessee there is no emissions test, and no decibels law, so your bike can be as loud and as free of exhaust and cats and you want it, I really don't have an opinion on rather have torque or horsepower, just have to be trial and error, but I do have to say that my cbr500r with the stock muffler removed sounds just like the you tube videos of the k speed exhaust, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Plus motoGP riders don't need to get the attention of texting while driving and parenting soccer moms not double checking their blind spots...
Do you ride with a pillion passenger holding a gun to your head forcing you to ride in people's blind spots?

If not, then wtf are you doing spending so much time IN people's blind spots?

Loud pipes don't save lives. They piss people off. Good riding does save lives.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I never get pissed of from any loud pipe as i feel safe when i hear one as i know a bike or a vehicle is coming. I am sure noise of planes pisses people more but we still use them.
and dave blind spots are everywhere for bikes. Nobody forces you but as a biker, it is easy to fit in a blind spot as you know bikes are narrow unlike cars.
How many times i noticed cars about to cut me dangerously but hear the noise of my loud pipe and decide to stay on their lane or how many times i noticed shocked cars or bikes once they see me a meter away with a mute pipe. Fixed with my experience of course it is up to people to get a louder pipe or not. My riding experience for 25 years keep me stick to louder pipes but not obnoxious ones of course which i agree with you there.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Im sorry LL, but you lost me at:

Nobody forces you but as a biker, it is easy to fit in a blind spot as you know bikes are narrow unlike cars.
Loud pipes might prevent what you said in your full response, but it only matters *if* you are in the blind spot. I NEVER sit in a blind spot.

As for the noise...the noise from planes is (a) rare and (b) totally unavoidable. Pipes are neither :) I used to own a car that would make any pipes you have sound like a lullaby...it rattled windows on houses at idle and set off motion detectors in car parks. I still had many many many instances where cars nearly side swiped me...in a car which snorted like a pig on 'roids. As a result I avoid the "dead zone" as a rule in a car or bike.

We are all entitled to our own opinion, so lets not make this into a big deal :) I enjoy your posts!

Dave

1 - 20 of 41 Posts