Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'm in the process of buying my first motorcycle, no previous experience and I think the CBR500R is a good fit for me plus I'm in love with the look, I plan to keep it for a long time so I dont want something too slow but nothing crazy fast. I dont need a bike to race I need a bike to enjoy the ride. what you think?

anyways nice to meet you all

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you've already done your homework. (y)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree with airhead83 as "not too slow, not crazy fast" is a good description of the bike, and you sound smart enough that it could be a good size of bike to start riding with. I always describe mine as being a perfect all-rounder, it is not the best at anything but probably has the best balance of everything.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The bike designed in part for enthusiasts like you. Take a motorcycle safety course, gear-up and have fun.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
309 Posts
oh boy I see a hesitation there lol! too big for a noob?
Oh no, no hesitation. A lot of new riders just want to get the fastest bike they can before they have the skills to ride them, but you seem to be thinking about what is best and the Honda 500s are a great choice.

You can mess up on any bike, but these bikes are not so powerful that you should shoot off in first and lose control, yet still powerful enough that you can keep up with highway traffic and break speed limits on them. So if you get on well with it then it is also a bike you can be happy with for a long time without feeling you need something bigger.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cb500 is perfect for what you are describing.
Enough power to be faster than most vehicles pulling away from a stop but that dies off around 70-80 while still capable of reaching 100+ mph

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would normally recommend a first-timer buy a used 250 or 300 as their first bike, The reasons are that a smaller bike is lighter & easier to get comfortable with & most new riders will drop the bike for one reason or the other during the first year of riding.
However, since you have already bought the 500, I will agree that it is a great all around bike for most real world riding situations. Having owned many different bikes in my 60 years of riding I will say that I truly like my 500F & have no plans to upgrade. It strikes the perfect balance for me & I hope it will be a great introduction to motorcycling for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, I don't have the bike yet, I was initially looking for a used 500 but in my area there seems to be none or their prices are too high that I prefer to go buy a new one. I have my MSF course setup for next month, I started looking into the Ninja's 300-400's but ended up liking the 500, I'm passed that age where we want to learn quickly and go fast so I'm going to take it easy, learn as much and enjoy the bike. cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts