Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just signed purchase agreement for a 2015 CB500X with 1400 miles on it. I know, crazy right?
It will get oil change and inspection before I pick it up.

The dealer is trying to sell me on extended warranty (1yr $1100, 2yr $1400, 3yr $1800). Also, their in-shop maintenance plan (6 service over 3 yrs for $1000 or 10 service over 5 yrs for $1600).

From what I've read about these bikes, they are pretty reliable so it seems I shouldn't need the warranty. The service was described as "full" service. Even at $160 each, it seems like a lot.

I plan to use it for commuting to work and the occasional fun ride so probably not more than 800 miles a month. I'm in western NY so riding season is April(or May) to October.

Am I wrong about the warranty plan? Is that a lot for maintenance? Should I be concerned that someone sold the bike with only 1400 miles on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I just signed purchase agreement for a 2015 CB500X with 1400 miles on it. I know, crazy right?

The dealer is trying to sell me on extended warranty (1yr $1100, 2yr $1400, 3yr $1800). Also, their in-shop maintenance plan (6 service over 3 yrs for $1000 or 10 service over 5 yrs for $1600).

From what I've read about these bikes, they are pretty reliable so it seems I shouldn't need the warranty. The service was described as "full" service. Even at $160 each, it seems like a lot.

I plan to use it for commuting to work and the occasional fun ride so probably not more than 800 miles a month. I'm in western NY so riding season is April(or May) to October.

Am I wrong about the warranty plan? Is that a lot for maintenance? Should I be concerned that someone sold the bike with only 1400 miles on it?

Thanks!
Personally, I would pass on the warranty and service options. DYI maintenance on most items is pretty straight forward

·
Registered
212 Posts
Skip the warranty.
All the maintenance includes is oil change, lube chain once in awhile, and then the valve checks.
Can all be done by you for only time spent.
$1000 is quite high for just that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
Skip the warranty.
All the maintenance includes is oil change, lube chain once in awhile, and then the valve checks.
Can all be done by you for only time spent.
$1000 is quite high for just that.
You might want to check YouTube videos on maintenance Items.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts