Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should have done this first. Mods didn't approve my first post.

Anyway, long and short....In January, we purchased a wrecked 2013 CBR 500R to rebuild it into a race bike.

My stepson will be riding this bike in the Canadian National series in the Amateur Lightweight class. This class is loosely based on the MA Junior Cup. He will be racing against Ninja 400's and R3's.

Class limits for the Ninja 400 and R3's are as follows : Max 42 rwhp Min 320lbs

Limit for the CBR is Max 45 rwhp Min 360lbs

The kid is a regional lightweight champ, winning both lightweight classes and also capturing top amateur and top teenage rider of the year in 2018. I may be biased, but I think he's got a really good shot with this bike.

I will post a build thread with pictures.

Steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
welcome to the mad house, your son certainly sounds very capable. These are great bikes and I hope he has a great time (and does well!!). Do send pictures as we all like to see what changes can be made to improve these bikes!! >:)
Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the mad house, your son certainly sounds very capable. These are great bikes and I hope he has a great time (and does well!!). Do send pictures as we all like to see what changes can be made to improve these bikes!! >:)
Gary
Thanks,

I've tried to post a list of stuff we've done, 1st was yesterday, It said "Moderator had to approve post"

When it wasn't there this morning I went ahead and did this intro post. Just tried a second time and got the same message.

Anyway, here is a pic of almost finished bike

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Haven't seen this earlier.
Welcome to the forums. Congrats. Could be great to have a son who you can share your passion with - and even better if he got the talent too. I ended up with two daughters, none of them are interested in racing. Bummer. ;-l

360 lbs is the dry weight I assume. It's not really difficult to reach on these bikes - as the EJC bikes which I've worked on had 155kg minimum weight. So they are a good 8kg lighter - helps to adjust cog and play with sprung and unsprung masses or just build a competitive bike on a budget.

Id I see correctly you've drooped the forks a bit to increase turn-in as I read the race rules don't allow for suspension likage mods. I don't know if the K-tech razors allow length adjustment at the rear, but the 500 is fairly porky and low, so you might want to keep the front at stock height and rather raise the rear to adjust geometry and still keep the bike higher to increase lean angles.
Just my two cents might worth to play with those on a track day before the first event.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't seen this earlier.
Welcome to the forums. Congrats. Could be great to have a son who you can share your passion with - and even better if he got the talent too. I ended up with two daughters, none of them are interested in racing. Bummer. ;-l

360 lbs is the dry weight I assume. It's not really difficult to reach on these bikes - as the EJC bikes which I've worked on had 155kg minimum weight. So they are a good 8kg lighter - helps to adjust cog and play with sprung and unsprung masses or just build a competitive bike on a budget.

Id I see correctly you've drooped the forks a bit to increase turn-in as I read the race rules don't allow for suspension likage mods. I don't know if the K-tech razors allow length adjustment at the rear, but the 500 is fairly porky and low, so you might want to keep the front at stock height and rather raise the rear to adjust geometry and still keep the bike higher to increase lean angles.
Just my two cents might worth to play with those on a track day before the first event.
There is about 10mm ride height adjustment on the Ktech shock

As for the weight, its 360lbs, after the race/qualifying, before you go to dyno. If you run out of fuel on the dyno you are disqualified. Last season, we set up the bikes so the weighed minimum weight with no fuel. This season, I may take a bit more weight off the bike to allow for fuel load at end of race.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts