Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for new tires for my 2014 CBR500R and God has sent me a clear sign of this via a nail in the rear.

I was shopping and reading reviews and like what I'm hearing about the Michelin Road 5. RevZilla has the best prices I could find.

Any thoughts or recommendations are helpful. I live near Seattle and ride a ton on the weekends and commute to work when the weather is nice. I try to not ride in the rain. It's just not fun and drivers really suck here.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Living in Seattle and not riding in the rain? So you have a good 58 riding days a year? Sorry, pun intended.
I've only heard goid things about the Michekim Road 5. The predecessor dual compound PR4 was already a great tire, and the 5 is not worst either.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have MPR4s. Good tyres wet and dry. Lasted over 20,000km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kMitch54

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha totally. Technically I get 58.99 days haha.
Living in Seattle and not riding in the rain? So you have a good 58 riding days a year? Sorry, pun intended.
I've only heard goid things about the Michekim Road 5. The predecessor dual compound PR4 was already a great tire, and the 5 is not worst either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Yeah I would certainly rather spend a few extra bucks up front for tires that last. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am not the only one on this forum who has been pleased with Bridgestone Battleaxe 023s. They are very reasonably priced. I have only put 2500 miles on them so far, but they handle great & other Bridgestone tires I have used in the past lasted quite well. I got 10000 miles out of the stock Dunlops by the way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my Bandit 1250. Like them a lot, the 4's and 5's are supposed to be better in the rain though.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am not the only one on this forum who has been pleased with Bridgestone Battleaxe 023s. They are very reasonably priced. I have only put 2500 miles on them so far, but they handle great & other Bridgestone tires I have used in the past lasted quite well. I got 10000 miles out of the stock Dunlops by the way.
I'll second that. The BT-023 is my #1 top pick for best value for all season all weather tires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
I recently needed a rear on my R. I thought I might get the latest Pilot Road. But they are sure spendy!

I surfed over to RevZilla and looked around, Pirelli Angel ST were on sale for $50 less. It is a fantastic tire, and the reviews support that.

It's better in every way than the OEM Dunlop "Sportmax".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Road 5's are being delivered today. Yeah I got a bit over 10k miles on the OEMs but they are getting flat down the middle. Didn't want to deal with the nail and needed some new ones.
I recently needed a rear on my R. I thought I might get the latest Pilot Road. But they are sure spendy!

I surfed over to RevZilla and looked around, Pirelli Angel ST were on sale for $50 less. It is a fantastic tire, and the reviews support that.

It's better in every way than the OEM Dunlop "Sportmax".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll post some pics when I get the new ones on.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Best tire I ever had was an Avon. Stickiest on the road. I don't know if they even make them in the sizes needed. But, I am sure they would be expensive.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just had a sett of Metzeler Roadtec 01 put on hav'nt tried them yet.

Plasma1.
I'm eager to hear what you have to say about them. That set has the coolest looking tread pattern imo.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My bike is in for a service and I have been told I will very, very soon need new tyres. Of all those mentioned on the thread, my local tyre place charges (for both wheels):

£262 Metzeler Roadtec 01
£241 Michelin Road 5
£240 Pirelli Angel GT
£218 Michelin Pilot Road 4
£208 Bridgestone T30EVO (BT023 successor)
£203 Avon Storm 3D XM (PiedmontBuckeye did not mention a model, but they seem comparable)
£182 Bridgestone BT023

Fitting is £16 per tyre bought from them.

Michelin annoyingly have a £30 cashback promotion, but only for September so it would need to be done by Sunday to qualify.

I bought the bike on 5k miles with PR4s already fitted, so not sure how many of those miles they had done, but it is now just under 18k miles.

I declined having the tyres done today because it is already an expensive service as the chain was getting stiff in too many place. Though I would have been able to do that myself, I am a reluctant mechanic so it is easier to pay the Honda dealer premium to have them do the chain and sprockets whilst they have it. And it also needs new front pads.

So I am thinking maybe to try the Bridgestone simply for being cheaper. Would anyone say another set of PR4s are worth the extra?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My bike is in for a service and I have been told I will very, very soon need new tyres. Of all those mentioned on the thread, my local tyre place charges (for both wheels):

£262 Metzeler Roadtec 01
£241 Michelin Road 5
£240 Pirelli Angel GT
£218 Michelin Pilot Road 4
£208 Bridgestone T30EVO (BT023 successor)
£203 Avon Storm 3D XM (PiedmontBuckeye did not mention a model, but they seem comparable)
£182 Bridgestone BT023

Fitting is £16 per tyre bought from them.

Michelin annoyingly have a £30 cashback promotion, but only for September so it would need to be done by Sunday to qualify.

I bought the bike on 5k miles with PR4s already fitted, so not sure how many of those miles they had done, but it is now just under 18k miles.

I declined having the tyres done today because it is already an expensive service as the chain was getting stiff in too many place. Though I would have been able to do that myself, I am a reluctant mechanic so it is easier to pay the Honda dealer premium to have them do the chain and sprockets whilst they have it. And it also needs new front pads.

So I am thinking maybe to try the Bridgestone simply for being cheaper. Would anyone say another set of PR4s are worth the extra?
I expect you already know I'm going to tell you that the Bridgestone 023 is the best value tire you can get. A front tire will last two rears (as long as you maintain correct pressures and aren't doing track days) and they hold their grip throughout their life cycle. Paying more is a case of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I haven't tried that particular tire, but the Bridgestone I did try was not the same caliber of tire as Pirelli, Avon or Michelin.

I would go with the Pilot Road 4. It's last year's model, so it's marked down. Lots of people love them. The Road 5 is the replacement. I had a Pilot Road 2 back in the day on my FJR; it was wonderful.

I have the Pirelli Angel ST and I love it, but I paid half what your dealer is asking, even though Pirelli is more local.

Pony up a bit and get top class tires. You'll thank yourself when you're riding in the rain or when you're leaned way over and you hit something unexpected. I was going 80 mph in the rain today, leaning and everything. I smiled inside my helmet and thanked myself for not being cheap on tires. I can't wait for that junky OEM Dunlop to wear out so I can get an Angel on the front too.

Read the tire reviews on RevZilla.com, there some good info there, firsthand.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

My rear 023 lasted over 22,000km and I expect to run the front until I change my rear again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm into 24k km with the Pirelli Angel GT. my best set of tyre so far. confidently hit 140-150km/h in the wet, so long there's no standing water. the rear is due for a change, but my next tyre could be Bridgestone T31.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts