Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was time to change the chain (the marker was in the red) and I had a new rear sprocket (dropped 2) to install as well. I have the service manual and watched a video because it was my first time ever changing a chain before, this is my first bike. So I did everything according to the video and service manual & the chain is very loose... Even after tightening it to where the indicator is all the way in the red further than it was originally on the old chain. I'm not sure what I've done incorrectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my main source of transportation now...

I also dropped 1 in my front sprocket. I'm running 13/41 sprocket teeth. Do I just need to drop 2 chain links?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi, I just read your post again and I thought you were using 15/41 not 13/41, that ratio seems a bit extreme, especially 13t on the front, what's the reason for your choice then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lied. Dunno WTF I was thinking when I wrote this. I'm at 14/39. I believe stock is 15/41. I dropped one in front & I did enjoy the extra low end but I moved and now have to ride on the highway a bunch which I felt like I was winding out the entire time trying to go 80. So I dropped 2 in the rear. This is much better. I had to drop 2 chain links & problem solved. Sorry for the confusion. I could only imagine what 13 would be like lol shortest gears ever

·
Registered
70 Posts
The OEM chains on the CB-500 series are a weak link (pun intended). Not up to the quality of the rest of the bike. I replaced mine at very low mileage and no perceptible wear with the best DID gold X-ring chain I could find and installed a Scottoiler automatic chain oiler. 12K miles now and almost no need for chain adjustments. I'm running 17/41 for somewhat relaxed 6th gear cruising.

Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts