Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all New here. I have had my 2017 CBR500R for almost 2 months. I have put 700 miles on it with local riding.

I was looking to make it a bit louder than stock so I am easier to be "seen". As I have been looking at some after market exhaust tips and systems they mostly all seem to be upwards of 200-300 at least. Is that what I can expect to pay? are there less expensive options out there? Also suggestions of what I can put on so I don't annoy the neighbors early in the morning or late at night (I live in an apartment), but also something that will help me be heard while driving down the road would be appreciated. I have seen other posts about exhaust and will take a quick browse through those to see some of those options.

Another thing I possibly would like is some saddle bags without them being too bulky on the sides of the bike.

Thank you in advanced

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Exhausts are a contentious issue. Lots of opinions. For what it’s worth, here’s mine:

A loud exhaust won’t help you be seen if they’re not looking. It won’t be heard above their stereo or screaming kids. It won’t be heard until you’ve passed them. All it will do is give you a headache and piss off your neighbours.

Much better, in my experience, to save your money and develop a riding style based on the principle that you’re invisible, and that nobody will have seen or heard your approach. It’s kept me alive for 40 years on two wheels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As stated above there are lots of opinions on the issue, while I don't believe a loud exhaust alone will make you visible I do think it helps being noticed at some degree. Personally i do it for both a chance of being more noticed and because i like it louder but not annoying harley loud thats obnoxious, and yes nothing will ever top being aware of your surroundings and developing better riding skills, and of course always ride like you're invisible. As for exhausts yeah you can find a cheapo ebay one but I personally wouldn't recommend it, you get what you pay for, I think being in the $200+ range is the norm, i have the yoshi exhaust it's loud but not too loud but is pricy.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A loud exhaust won’t help you be seen if they’re not looking. It won’t be heard above their stereo or screaming kids. It won’t be heard until you’ve passed them. All it will do is give you a headache and piss off your neighbors.

Much better, in my experience, to save your money and develop a riding style based on the principle that you’re invisible, and that nobody will have seen or heard your approach. It’s kept me alive for 40 years on two wheels.

Great Advice!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree with the above members. Keep the exhaust quiet, wear hi-viz clothing & stay super aware & vigilant.
As to saddle bags I like my SW- motech Blaze panniers. They are low key, super easy to mount & hold a good amount of stuff. I am about to leave on a 10 day tour & they will do the job for me. The one drawback is they are not cheap. They are German however. They are bike specific & available through Twistedthrottle.com Photo attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Years ago, Honda sold a "SuperHawk" (CB77, 305cc) which is the model that put Honda on the map in the US. It had the same crank and firing configuration as the current CB500F. There was an aftermarket company that sold megaphones to fit it (the CB77 had twin exhausts, not a 2 to 1 exhaust however) that made the bike sound AWESOME!! If I could get a twin exhaust on my CB500 and megs like those I would do it in a minute!

But with what I can find, there is nothing available like that!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm going to also agree with the others. A loud exhaust won't make you seen. Even if it was loud enough to distract drivers from what they're doing, it can often just confuse them (they might hear you, but can't see you, and then it's a guessing game).

I had a Harley blow past me years ago on the highway. It was extreme. Loudest bike I've ever heard since. I still didn't "see" him coming because he approached me doing about 2x or 3x the speed limit wearing all black. I still couldn't hear him until he was RIGHT on top of me. Effectively, it went from completely silent, to mind numbingly loud as he passed by my car which completely shocked and disoriented me, and by the time I knew what was happening and recognized that a bike had passed me he was 100 yards ahead of me and I could barely hear him again. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is for all of the cagers around me to be disoriented and confused.

Ride like you're invisible, wear all of the gear all of the time, and prefer bright colors for your bike and gear. It really goes a long way. I recently saw a video on YouTube where a guy was testing the theory of hi-viz. He set his camera up on the side of the street at night and rode by in several configurations. The bike was basically black. His preferred gear was black as well, including the helmet. When he rode by like this he was literally invisible. You could barely even notice him, despite knowing he was there because that was the point of the video. Scary. He tried with a hi-viz vest and black helmet. You could faintly notice the hi-viz, but it confused your brain because whatever "it" was it had no visible head. It sort of made your brain doubt that a person was there. Scary! He tried with a white helmet, and black gear. You could immediately spot the helmet. This was a big improvement over the previous configurations, but the bike and body were still invisible (but the helmet stood out enough that you could recognize that somebody was coming). Finally he rode by with the white helmet and a hi-viz vest and he was clearly visible. I already believed in bright colors, but that video did a great job of illustrating it for all of the non-believers. He said after watching it back himself he was no longer going to ride around with the black gear.

I just purchased a new jacket that will fit my beer belly, and since I couldn't find a white jacket that I liked (most of them were 70% black with white trim) I decided on a hi-viz jacket instead, which I am so far loving. My wife saw it for the first time when I was trying it on, and she said it was hideous and she hated it and didn't want me to keep it. And I said it's about being seen, not being fashionable. The size was wrong so I had to play a few games to try out various sizes, but once the correct size arrived I went for a ride. My wife was out getting her nails done so I decided to ride over to the shop to show her the jacket. She was on the second floor of a large building, and she said they all saw me coming down the road without knowing I was going to be coming. She figured it probably wasn't even me, but realized it was when I pulled into the parking lot. Pretty good result if a bunch of gabbing hens gossiping in a nail salon on the second floor of a building notice me coming (on a quiet bike) when they're trying to make each other pretty, not even looking for me and don't even care about bikes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As stated louder exhausts don't really help, especially as the sound coming out is directed behind you, when you really want it going forward to get you noticed by the cars in front!! However a slightly louder exhaust note can be a pleasant sound (nothing to do with safety, just aesthetics!!). If you really are wanting safety, then as mentioned a defensive driving attitude is the biggest benefit you can make, assume all drivers are deaf and blind and out to get you. I fitted a headlight modulator to my daughters motorcycle and that really got her noticed, some drivers didn't like it as they felt she looked like an emergency vehicle with flashing lights, but they are legal in the USA and definitely get you noticed.

Gary

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have yet to use my high-beam against oncoming traffic. Some suggest that high beams make you visible, while other sources suggest that brights confuse/blind oncoming traffic and their brains assume there's nothing there to fill in the gap in sensors. I've personally been blinded by motorcycles before, and it's not a very safe scenario to have blinded car drivers, so I generally disregard that advice.

That said, the "brights" on our bikes seem to be identical bulb that is aimed higher in my experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know if that's typical of cars too, or if that's just a "cheap" way to fake it on our bikes. I think most owners would agree that the lights suck on our bikes (or maybe Honda dealerships skip aiming the lights out of the box). Or perhaps our brights don't count as brights and that's reason enough to do it, but I'm unconvinced. I've been riding for 5 years now without brights and have few enough scary incidents that I'm not inclined to risk a change without hard evidence.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Full beam at day, and at night except as curtesy for on coming traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the advice guys. I do have a black and orange helmet that is pretty bright and easy to be seen. Bike is Black and Orange. I usually ride with an orange hoodie on.

I also had a close call with not being seen that taught me to stay away from some of the busier streets especially during rush hour. I had a car shoot across traffic that was backed up and into my lane. I was lucky and able to swerve into the other lane. Honestly not sure lights, hi viz, or an exhaust would have helped. The car just kept driving like nothing was wrong. I kept going as well and rode next to him and looked over he avoided eye contact.

Driving as if I am invisible defiantly seems to be the way to go for sure. As a follow up about exhaust, I have heard on some newer bikes I may have to tune the engine with certain exhausts has any one heard about this?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
As a follow up about exhaust, I have heard on some newer bikes I may have to tune the engine with certain exhausts has any one heard about this?
I'm not much of a source on this since I've never upgraded my exhaust, but it sounds like most options require a "Power Commander" or something to tune things properly. Also, odds are the exhaust will not improve performance. It will perhaps slightly hinder performance.

Anyway, hopefully this bump will get some responses from the people that have upgraded.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I also had a close call with not being seen that taught me to stay away from some of the busier streets especially during rush hour. I had a car shoot across traffic that was backed up and into my lane. I was lucky and able to swerve into the other lane. Honestly not sure lights, hi viz, or an exhaust would have helped. The car just kept driving like nothing was wrong. I kept going as well and rode next to him and looked over he avoided eye contact.
Driving as if I am invisible defiantly seems to be the way to go for sure.
About 5 years ago, my son and I did a 2,500 mile trip on our BMW's and honestly, during that trip - I could see into the cars around me - esp. on the interstates - and I would say that about 40 - 50% of the drivers were engaged on their cell phones - which at best still is distracting and they probably were not watching much anyway. Very dangerous lane changes!

Intersections, and passing are the worst places - so always "have a backup plan" for yourself to get out of the line of fire of other's bad driving!

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a follow up about exhaust, I have heard on some newer bikes I may have to tune the engine with certain exhausts has any one heard about this?
For a slip on you don't need a tune or power commander, only if you get a full exhaust.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm going to also agree with the others. A loud exhaust won't make you seen. Even if it was loud enough to distract drivers from what they're doing, it can often just confuse them (they might hear you, but can't see you, and then it's a guessing game).

I had a Harley blow past me years ago on the highway. It was extreme. Loudest bike I've ever heard since. I still didn't "see" him coming because he approached me doing about 2x or 3x the speed limit wearing all black. I still couldn't hear him until he was RIGHT on top of me. Effectively, it went from completely silent, to mind numbingly loud as he passed by my car which completely shocked and disoriented me, and by the time I knew what was happening and recognized that a bike had passed me he was 100 yards ahead of me and I could barely hear him again. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is for all of the cagers around me to be disoriented and confused.

When I'm riding my CBR500R, and a car comes up beside me which has been fitted to sound like it's on a race track, I find it extremely distracting and disorienting. I don't think it helps motorists to see you, and agree that when it is in range, then it is disorienting regardless of the type of vehicle being passed, cage or not.

I encourage you to get the muffler whose sound you like the best. It will change and get throatier with use. But be aware that the safety effect has no statistical backing ... try to be respectful of other riders and drivers hearing tolerances when you buy, with a sound that pleases you as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might be a bit late to the party on this one - I've been on one of the courses here bikesafe . co . uk - run by the local police. A great day out on the roads with guys who love riding and have to be safe

·
Registered
613 Posts
When I'm riding my CBR500R, and a car comes up beside me which has been fitted to sound like it's on a race track, I find it extremely distracting and disorienting. I don't think it helps motorists to see you, and agree that when it is in range, then it is disorienting regardless of the type of vehicle being passed, cage or not.
Especially when there are upwards of 10 of the sprocket rockets on a 3 or 4 lane (each way) interstate and lots of traffic. They sound like a bunch of bumble bees as they weave in an out of traffic. SCARY!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Might be a bit late to the party on this one - I've been on one of the courses here bikesafe . co . uk - run by the local police. A great day out on the roads with guys who love riding and have to be safe
+1, yes I did the bikesafe some time ago, like you say a good day out.

Plasma1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts