Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day everyone,
I used to ride 15 years ago and have recently purchased a new motorcycle so with the gap in time I will just label myself as a new rider as many things have changed over the years.

In regards to that I did purchase a 2021 CBR500R ABS and I am curious what are some recommended Mods from all of you.

My #1 question is going to be, what is a great mid priced slip on exhaust in the 250.00-350.00 price range Any Suggestion would be great and this is for looks and audio only not performance.

Thank you all in advance.

Registered
Hello and welcome (back) to the world of motorcycling.

Admittedly I am biased, but I do think the CBR500R is one of the best "all-round" motorcycle packages out there. Small, light, fast enough, very frugal, comfortable and well made. All bikes are a compromise, which is why many of us have several, but my CBR is easily the best bike I've owned in 40+ years of motorcycling. Apart from the headlight (on my 2016), that's woeful. 馃ぃ

As for extras, well I have a centre stand, a rack and top box, heated grips, a gear indicator, a rear "hugger", front "fenda-extenda", a power outlet under the seat, a charging cable connector and a pair of mirror mount stand-off blocks that move them up and out a little so I can actually see behind me.

Your bike will have the gear indicator already and I am not sure whether the latest bikes can take a centre stand if the exhaust is different. The other bits will depend on the climate where you're going to ride and the use you'll put the bike to. Personally I have no recommendations for exhausts as I prefer quiet and stock to noisy and modified, but that's a personal thing.

Anyway, safe riding. :)

Glen.

Reactions: xxNIKONxx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome (back) to the world of motorcycling.

Admittedly I am biased, but I do think the CBR500R is one of the best "all-round" motorcycle packages out there. Small, light, fast enough, very frugal, comfortable and well made. All bikes are a compromise, which is why many of us have several, but my CBR is easily the best bike I've owned in 40+ years of motorcycling. Apart from the headlight (on my 2016), that's woeful. 馃ぃ

As for extras, well I have a centre stand, a rack and top box, heated grips, a gear indicator, a rear "hugger", front "fenda-extenda", a power outlet under the seat, a charging cable connector and a pair of mirror mount stand-off blocks that move them up and out a little so I can actually see behind me.

Your bike will have the gear indicator already and I am not sure whether the latest bikes can take a centre stand if the exhaust is different. The other bits will depend on the climate where you're going to ride and the use you'll put the bike to. Personally I have no recommendations for exhausts as I prefer quiet and stock to noisy and modified, but that's a personal thing.

Anyway, safe riding. :)

Glen.
Glen Thanks for all of your input sir, greatly appreciated.

Registered
Hi and welcome
I have a 2016 cbr500r that I have had since 2017 and I only recently purchased seat cowl accessory from Honda. When I was first looking at accessories for this motorcycle someone said that a 300 or 400 dollar upgrade to increase the horsepower only about 1 or 2, is not worth it. So instead they suggested that I buy safety gear. I did just that and I feel that was a great suggestion. I purchased a Aerostitch and I adsolutely love it. I paid about $1500usd. My suggestion to you is keep it all stock. The bike's value is more when it is stock. When you start modifying the value goes down.

Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
You can try listening to these audio clips to see if you find one you like:

You won't get any notable power from a slip-on so it'll be purely aesthetic with a bit of LPSL if you lean that way...

Gear, training and suspension are good places to put money that will actually return a performance and/or safety increase.

Reactions: xxNIKONxx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can try listening to these audio clips to see if you find one you like:

You won't get any notable power from a slip-on so it'll be purely aesthetic with a bit of LPSL if you lean that way...

Gear, training and suspension are good places to put money that will actually return a performance and/or safety increase.
agree all the way around, and since it has been a minute I did complete a BRC to refresh the memory. As for the exhaust yes looks and audio enhancement over stock pipe is all I'm looking for not performance.

Thanks for the video.

Registered
After market exhausts are really all about changing the sound of the bike. That should be your focus. If performance if what you're after, you're on the wrong bike to begin with.

I'm a big fan of protecting the bike. Sliders are probably a good idea on the CBR, though I went a little above and beyond with a set of crash bars on my CB500F since it doesn't have the fairing to protect the engine. You can save yourself a lot of money in repairs by spending a little up front.

I second getting good protective gear for yourself as well. Cheap gear will eventually cost you more than you saved on it.

As an example, I had an oncoming semi chuck a rock the size of a child's fist directly into my right ring finger. It ruptured the membrane around the tendon and created a large cyst, and the finger swelled to the point that putting on and taking off the glove involved me screaming from the pain.

The impact was right in the middle of a foam pad on a pair of A* SP-1 gloves. If I'd been wearing cheap gloves, I would have been looking at a broken finger.

Registered
Something else just occurred to me.

Some people buy cheap aftermarket fairings, and put the originals in storage. That way, you've got showroom floor quality fairings to put back on if you decide to sell it used.

Registered
I did the following modifications to my bought new (in 2019) 2017 CB-500F. These modifications reflect my very high opinion of this bike based on 68 years of regular riding and owning 87 bikes since 1953.. I intend to keep this bike as long as good health allows me to continue riding. I have other bikes, but this is my "go-to" bike most of the time.

I'm very light in weight, 134# and the rear shock was rock-hard for me. I called Ted Porter at "Ted's Beemer Shop" (Ted is a long, long time suspension expert and a Wilbers distributor) and got a truly custom made Wilbers shock absorber for $686, delivered. Ted spent a lot of time working with me to get the right spring and adjustments.

The OEM seat is horrible, by my butt-o-meter. I tried a Corbin and sold it as it A was rock hard and B slanted down in front (a sure bet for discomfort). I ended up sending my OEM seat to Russell "Day Long" Seats in Mt. Shasta, CA. I had a 3 month waiting list but the seat was needed by them only a week before the build date. Russel seats are expensive. Total cost of $624 and I'll shout it from the roof top; "Worth every penny".

At almost 85, I have no inclination to perform power wheelies and the OEM gearing of our CB-500s is ultra LOW. I went with a 17T gearbox sprocket (15 is standard) and was able to drop rpm at cruise by 13.3%. and bottom gear still pulls very nicely. The chain does not have to be lengthened to effect this modification. Just loosen the rear axle nut and slide the rear wheel fully fotward. There is a thread on this forum re "How to replace the front sprocket with a 17T.".

Taller bars by 1"+. You can use either inexpensive risers from E-bay or change bars, insuring in the latter case that the OEM control cables will fit the new bars.

The OEM grips are too hard. I fitted EMGO foam grips. About $8 shipped.

Too many CB-500 owners seem to regard this model as a beginner's bike and can't wait to move up to a heavier, more complex and certainly faster model, but more than a few experienced owners have found a well-sorted CB-500 to be well worth having in a long relationship. Count me among those wise owners.

Ralph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts