Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I just put a down payment on a CBR500R and was told should have it early June. This is my first street bike, but I've had dirtbikes for 10+ years, so I'm not completely new to bikes. I'll post updates about the bike when I hear more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
congrats! Another person I'm jealous of. Everyone has dirt bike experience except for me. Now you guys got me think if I should just try it once but my brittle bones and hind might get injured. From what I have heard you can apply just a little from dirtbike riding style to regular bikes on the street. What made you settle up on the CBR500r?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Size and price were the factors for me. I knew I didn't want a 250 from anybody, because I knew I would get bored with it quickly. I also wanted something small enough to be a good beginner bike, so I didn't want anything in the 800-1000 range. From there, the 500 just seemed right for the price, seeing as how there is a $4k price jump up to the 600. As far as choosing a CBR over the CB, I just like the styling better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
sounds about right, same reason for me too. I sat on both CBR600rr and the CBR500R. the CBR500R is just a tad bit smaller than the 600. I think I would be able to maneuver around better in the CBR500R since its lighter. I don't mind the price either its good for what im getting.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just picked mine up. As mentioned in the other thread, $7,168 OTD with ABS. Unfortunately, won't be picking it up for another week though. Pic is a little blurry, but here it is. I believe I'm the first one in Ohio to get one.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got a chance to pick it up from the dealer. I love it so far, ride is very comfortable and for my first street bike, it has plenty of power for me. I don't have many upgrade plans yet, but I'll be making this my progress thread as I change things on the bike.

This is how she sits now. Hopefully I'll get a few hours of riding in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I can't tell if there is a slope in the picture or if it is just the angle of the photo, but, I always park my bikes with the front wheel uphill to minimize the chances of sidestand "failure". Pushing the bike forward with it in 1st gear before putting the kickstand down and then pushing the kickstand forward as well also helps prevent failures.

Reactions: Natrix

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little update:

1) Installed a brake light flasher/modulator this weekend, as seen here. http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/c...n-forum/526-break-light-flasher.html#post7160 It was really easy to do, and is worth a few bucks if it saves me from getting rear ended.

2) Passed my MSF class this weekend, so now I'm fully legal.

Future plans are to change out the exhaust, but I'm not sure which yet, and possibly the rear seat cowl, possibly just to get rid of the ugly handles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts