Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys.
Just bought a 2014 CBR500R with 2000 miles.
I been riding on streets ( 20 - 30 mph ). I was waiting for title and to get it registered.
My dumbass was riding my motorcycle on 18-20 psi and thought it was hard to turn because it is a heavy bike ._.
Until I went and checked air. I was felt so stupid. Took straight to gas station and get tank filled up and air to 34f/40r. Man I felt the difference. Literally as soon as I pulled out of gas station I felt that turn was so easy to take.

Today I rode like 40 miles at 45 - 60 mph .Stock exhaust ( I think looks ugly a f on my black CBR ) With all the wind noises was almost impossible to hear. I mean I can feel when to change gear but it still would be better if I can hear the sound. I had to look down at RPM meter to see if I am changing at high rpm or low rpm ( doesn't matter to me but trying to save fuel as well :p wanna see the mpg on this bike )
Changed oil in week of getting bike and cleaning and lubing chain upcoming weekend.

So I am looking for a loud, cheap and good looking/good sounding exhaust. Any suggestions ? 2 option I have looked at are Leo vince GP corsa slip on and coffman shorty slip on.
Also My turn signal switch is very stiff/hard.

Leave any specific bike tips if you have :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Look up: Betterprice_moto, an e-bay seller. I got an Akropovic shorty "carbon fiber" muffler and stainless steel connector pipe for $78.31USD (including USA shipping) with mounting clamp and chrome springs that hold the muffler to the connector pipe. I was told on this forum that for the price I paid this was a copy of an Akropovic and perhaps it is, but I've had it on the bike for several months and almost 2K miles and it looks and works just fine. The muffler/midpipe kits are model specific. I use mine with the decibel killer left in the muffler (very easy to remove if one must) and I'm very happy with it. Note that the connector pipe fits the muffler perfectly, but is slightly larger in diameter than the outer diameter of the OEM exhaust pipe. I used a piece of very thin copper shim stock to make up for the difference in pipe diameters and now the mid-pipe fits snugly to the exhaust pipe. Be sure when installing the muffler that it sits a bit outboard or the bike's swing arm or when the shock compresses it will cause the swing arm to hit and possibly damage your muffler.

The new muffler/connector pipe saved 7# over the OEM boat-anchor muffler. Note that if your bike has a centerstand, you cannot use the muffler I'm recommending.

Ralph

·
Registered
1 Posts
Id go with the leo vince, coffman supposedly hurts the bike and kills your power. Bought my 500 used and came with it so I haven't been able to notice.

For the signal idk, mabye last guy got something stuck in it.

Random tip if you like a clean look you might wanna rear tire hugger.
Bike is also really tough apparently. Mines got dropped from a tow truck, dropped on a curb, and slid on some dirt trails a bunch of times. Only got scratches on the bike and some bent pegs.

If you can, zip tie your tags before you get them on. I lost mines on the highway somehow even though it wasent loose before the ride there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have noticed that my one has gotten a bit sticky or stiff, only when cancelling it though.

I vote for the two brothers exhaust, its calm under 5k rpm but sounds nice when you speed up. So it's good for a commuter bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have noticed that my one has gotten a bit sticky or stiff, only when cancelling it though.

I vote for the two brothers exhaust, its calm under 5k rpm but sounds nice when you speed up. So it's good for a commuter bike.
Two brothers exhaust is expensive :O
And I actually want loud for lower rpms as well. I on 45s and 55s. I am always on 6th gear on low rpms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look up: Betterprice_moto, an e-bay seller. I got an Akropovic shorty "carbon fiber" muffler and stainless steel connector pipe for $78.31USD (including USA shipping) with mounting clamp and chrome springs that hold the muffler to the connector pipe. I was told on this forum that for the price I paid this was a copy of an Akropovic and perhaps it is, but I've had it on the bike for several months and almost 2K miles and it looks and works just fine. The muffler/midpipe kits are model specific. I use mine with the decibel killer left in the muffler (very easy to remove if one must) and I'm very happy with it. Note that the connector pipe fits the muffler perfectly, but is slightly larger in diameter than the outer diameter of the OEM exhaust pipe. I used a piece of very thin copper shim stock to make up for the difference in pipe diameters and now the mid-pipe fits snugly to the exhaust pipe. Be sure when installing the muffler that it sits a bit outboard or the bike's swing arm or when the shock compresses it will cause the swing arm to hit and possibly damage your muffler.

The new muffler/connector pipe saved 7# over the OEM boat-anchor muffler. Note that if your bike has a centerstand, you cannot use the muffler I'm recommending.

Ralph
It is my first bike I really don't want to go that cheap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I left the faux Akropovic's decibel killer in place. I ride at lower RPM, never over 5K, and do not suffer any adverse performance consequences. The bike is slightly louder than the whispering OEM muffler, but hardly a bother. I too like quiet bikes.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I say do what you like. We need to enjoy combustion engines while we can -- how they feel, smell and sound -- because electrification is about to ruin the party. Some people like 'em whisper quiet, some like 'em to have little aural character.

Just don't be a dick about it and piss other people off by racing around neighborhoods at night or revving needlessly at stoplights etc. If the exhaust comes with a "dB killer", I'd suggest leaving it in as it usually removes some of the not-so-nice edginess from the exhaust pulses without ruining the character you're looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I say do what you like. We need to enjoy combustion engines while we can -- how they feel, smell and sound -- because electrification is about to ruin the party. Some people like 'em whisper quiet, some like 'em to have little aural character.

Just don't be a dick about it and piss other people off by racing around neighborhoods at night or revving needlessly at stoplights etc. If the exhaust comes with a "dB killer", I'd suggest leaving it in as it usually removes some of the not-so-nice edginess from the exhaust pulses without ruining the character you're looking for.
I don't rev in my neighborhood nor I plan to. I dont have like hidden motive to be dick/act cool. It is simply because I like loud exhausts, I also dont like how stovk sound and I think loud exhaust will be good for safety reasons on road as well while cruising.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll add another vote for quieter bikes. I don't buy the adage of "Loud Bikes Save Lives". Auto drivers are often distracted with the phone, eating, putting on makeup, listening to a loud radio or kids,.. you name it... A "loud exhaust on a motorcycle" won't bring them back into the present. Plain and Simple.. Attentive motorcycle riders Save Lives. The rest is just Noise.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I left the faux Akropovic's decibel killer in place. I ride at lower RPM, never over 5K, and do not suffer any adverse performance consequences. The bike is slightly louder than the whispering OEM muffler, but hardly a bother. I too like quiet bikes.

Ralph
Never going over 5k rpm is super conservative riding. These motors really start to come alive above 5K.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Leo Vince slip-on and it's been great. Also, don't feel too bad about riding with low tire pressure. When I bought my CBR a few months ago the dealer said that everything had been checked. I confirmed the oil level and the other major items but took their word on the tires. I ended up riding over 100 miles at 22 or 24 PSI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts