Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum!

I'm an experienced rider who is considering buying a Honda CBR500R. I'm also considering the Ninja 300; and to a lesser degree the Honda CBR250R and the Ninja 650R.

I had the Honda 250, so I know that it is capable of doing almost everything I want. The exception being extended interstate travel. It's probably capable of eventually reaching highway speeds, but it would certainly not help the engine to maintain them. Another strike against the CBR250R is that I've already had one. I'd like to try something different. Same goes for the Ninja 650R. Been there, done that. It's also a bit beyond my current price range. They are absolutely fantastic bikes, however.

The type of riding I do is not very aggressive. I'm at the age where comfort is important, but I like the styling of sport bikes.

So far I've had almost six dozen motorcycles and scooters. The link in my signature block leads to a post where I list all of them. My 2-wheel resume is as follows:

I started getting into motorcycles in the late 1980's. When I got out of the Army in 2000 I attended the Motorcycle Mechanic's Institute in Phoenix, AZ. I actually took courses there in 2000 and 2002 (with concentrations in Harley-Davidson and Suzuki). Since then I have worked off and on in the motorcycle industry (service tech, service manager, parts guy). This certainly solidified my addiction to motorcycles. I'm a life member of the Iron Butt Association, the AMA, and HOG. I was a Founding Member of the Harley-Davidson Museum, and I've completed MSF safety classes.

I sometimes follow MotoGP, World Superbike and AMA Superbike. I try to make it to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival and the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days if I can squeeze them into my schedule each year. I worked as a cornerworker at amateur road-race events back in the early 90s (mostly at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia).

In April of 2012 I participated in the Scooter Cannonballl. It was an eight-day competition starting in Savannah GA and ending in San Diego CA. I completed it on a 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 scooter, placing 23rd out of 50 starters.

I've also done a couple neat motorcycle rides. The first was a tour through Europe and the Alps in 1997, and the second was a series of cross country trips I made in 2005. In my "cruiser days" I did Daytona Bike Week (1994 and 1995), Sturgis (1996), and a number of Rolling Thunder rallies (including riding in the Run for the Wall in 2000). I've tried my hand at racing vintage motocross bikes. I discovered that I pretty much suck at that.

Anyway, that's my background. By the way, I did cross-post this over on the Ninja 300 forum. If that's bad manners, I'll accept the flogging.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Welcome. Very nice résumé and your experience and tech skills will come in handy for some of us.....me for sure :). I've road in a couple rally's back in my HOG days. My reason for purchasing the 500r is the same as you. Sustained interstate travel. The 250r can reach those speeds but a longer trip becomes "not so comfy". The feedback on the new 500r appears positive so as each week passes by and closer to my new steeds arrival I get increasingly excited. Congrats on whatever new bike you decide on.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Congrats! Hope the weather is good over the weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts