Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a brand new 2017 CBR500RA three days ago, and have some mods planned for it, although nothing too major. So far I've done a genuine honda rear tyre hugger, led number plate bulb, puig carbon fibre look gel tank pad, and removed the small white sticker from the top of the fuel tank.
I have some black anodised shorty brake and clutch levers on order, as well as a fender eliminator.

Future mods will include a gear shift indicator (open to reccomendations?), a tinted screen (finding it impossible to find anyone with one in a dark tint), and also a K&N air filter. I've had loud bikes all my life so I'm not after an exhaust for this bike (famous last words!)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd also like to gear the bike down aswell, has anyone done this? Was thinking of going 1 tooth down on the front sprocket. I do a lot of highway riding for my daily commute, sitting on 100-110kmh for the best part of 45min each day, so wouldn't mind the bike revving a bit lower when cruising at those speeds.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If you want lower RPMs at any speed, then you need 1 MORE tooth to the drive sprocket (16T instead of the standard 15T).
The 16T works well with no change to the chain length. It makes 5th gear about the same as 6th gear presently.

Ride safely,

Reactions: Jb44

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dave - beautiful bike! That hugger will help to keep mud off the rear shock but do nothing to keep spray off your back, especially if you go with a fender eliminator.

Reactions: Jb44

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys. I couldn't log back in with the account a created so have now made this one. I ordered personalised number plates for the bike last night which is what my new username is. Thanks for all the feedback.
Got a bit a carried away last night with online shopping and ended up also ordering a dark smoke tinted screen and a set of shorty anodised brake and clutch levers. So they will go nicely with the fender eliminator that I have coming also :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man that's a nice bike! I wish I could have found one in that color and I would have hopped all on that!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The Gipro absolutely hands down bar none the best mod I've done to this bike.

As you already probably know with this bike and this 6 speed transmission, it's very easy to lose track of what gear you're in.

I totally depend on the Gipro all the time.

I ride other bikes and this the first time I've owned a bike that gave me fits keeping track of what gear I was in.

That recommendation with one tooth up on the front sprocket a good one. I've done that mod with other bikes, although most of my riding these days end up in the mountains, so the stock gearing works the best for me at this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the indicator sonic boom :)
Once I get the sprocket on I'll let you know how the bike feels and reacts. We have been unfortunate here in Melbourne with solid rain for the last 3 weeks everyday, so haven't had much chance to ride it. This week it's looking like the rain will finally lift. Once I get the 1000km service done all the parts Ive acquired will make their way on the bike.
With the fender eliminator I bought an Oggy Knobs one. Tinted screen is Power Bronze double bubble, filter is K&N, tank pad is puig, and levers are eBay specials, and tire hugger is genuine Honda. Mixed bag of parts, but that's just how it turned out. Still undecided on exhaust.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How effective is the PowerBronze windscreen compared to stock, when it comes to airflow? Is the air directed over your head, or at your helmet? I've ordered the same one.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quite happy with the power bronze screen. Air flow is slightly better but it a huge difference. I did it more for looks. I'd say maybe 20% less wind smacking your head

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the link Jb, I’ve been wavering about getting one, and that was enough to tip me over the line. ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for late reply. Yes and yes as people said. I have a bike jack that lifts the rear wheel off the ground, much easier to calibrate it as you need to cycle through all the gears 1-6-1 to calibrate it. You can do this on a quiet street though if you wish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts