Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone, I have a 2014 Honda CB500F. The original owner must have put on a different chain because it doesn't have any rubber inlays and the chain is rusted and loud. Im putting on new tires and replacing chain and I'm thinking gold because I heard its more durable for wet weather which Maui tends to be. What chains are you all riding specifically ? Any recommendations and info I appreciate very much!

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are several major chain manufacturers. DID is certainly one of the fore runners. They suggest this particular chain for your bike. Maybe take a looky-loo at the front and rear sprockets while your at it. It's often suggested they be changed at the same time as the chain, but IMHO, it depends on whether they are worn enough to replace.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I run a "gold" DID ZVMX on the Tuono and have been very impressed so far in terms of it keeping its finish quality, X-rings staying in place and not changing tension appreciably over 3000km or so.

You'd want a 520 pitch, 120-link chain and then cut it down to the 112-link count used on the 500. I use a MotionPro 08-0470 too for breaking, pressing and setting the link rivets. I won't use clip-style links on the street (only rivet-style links.) YMMV.

If your chain is that far gone, you'll want to replace both sprockets as well to avoid wearing the new chain prematurely.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Speaking of chains, is it easy to see what kind of a chain a new cb500f has, O-ring versus X-ring?
The stock chain is a D.I.D. 520VO-112. This is D.I.D.'s basic o-ring chain, I think all Honda bikes are supplied with D.I.D. chains. The bikes initially come with a continuous chain, while the replacement uses a rivet link.

Buying as an O.E.M. part is obviously more expensive than just buying it in a D.I.D. box, despite being the exact same item. In the U.K. Honda charge around £120 for a chain kit including sprockets, although inexplicably they sell the chain on it own for about £180. No sprockets, not even the rivet link, and it costs 50% more!

But I paid around £80 for a gold and black version of the 520VX3, their top range x-ring road chain, with a set of JT Sprockets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts